The Keystone pipeline: Reject the wackos
Even if builders of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada ensure by all means possible that it would not increase so-called carbon emissions, per President Obama's ultimatum, Gang Green insists that Mr. Obama must not sign this deal.
And even though Canadian leaders now are pledging stepped-up cooperation with the United States on reducing emissions from petroleum development, that's still not good enough for the environmental hard-liners.
A new missive signed by 25 environmental/liberal groups “oppose any deal-making” and insist — no matter how many U.S. studies prove otherwise — that the Keystone pipeline is an irredeemable hazard, The Hill newspaper reports.
Never mind that the State Department's own draft report concluded that the pipeline would not significantly increase carbon emissions.
Should Obama give in to these wackos, the threat of environmental catastrophe will increase exponentially as Canada's oil instead will be loaded aboard Chinese tankers. It will be destined for refining where the China National Petroleum Corp. and China Petrochemical Corp. (known as Sinopec Group) have resisted costly upgrades to reduce pollutants, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Groups supposedly concerned about alleged environmental damage should be pressing for the safer, superior Keystone pipeline instead of the grim consequences if the pipeline isn't completed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Early voting: Hardly healthy
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- The Paycheck Fairness Act: It’s not needed
- Philly’s schools: The real injustice
- Sunday pops
- America’s pensions crisis: Look to the Dutch
- Stop Pa. Senate Bill 444: It turns the people’s right to know into government’s right to hide
- Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
- The siege of Kobani: Mimicking the U.S.
- Tom Wolf’s ‘Fresh Start’: Vague & stale