Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
Good luck!: The Leechburg Area School Board has hired Terence Meehan, a New Castle Area administrator, to be its new superintendent. Leechburg has long prided itself as the “little district that can,” but continually declining enrollment will make that mission harder and harder. At age 50, Meehan has about a decade before retirement. Will Leechburg still be here then?
A sad farewell: A small slice of Americana will die this week when the J&W Variety Store in Aspinwall closes its doors. J&W was a throwback to the days of 5&10 stores and lived up to its slogan, “the biggest little store.” Virtually every square foot contained shelves and racks, it repaired household items, and the Zourelias family was always friendly and helpful.
Here we go?: The unthinkable has become the reality — the Pittsburgh Steelers are in the thick of the hunt for an AFC wild-card berth. The Black and Gold, now 5-6 and fast on the heels of beating Cleveland for their third-straight win on Sunday, travel to Baltimore on Thanksgiving night to face the Ravens, also 5-6. Pittsburgh's 0-4 start is, thankfully, a fast-fading memory.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- The Paycheck Fairness Act: It’s not needed
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- Sunday pops
- Philly’s schools: The real injustice
- The Box
- Mass shootings: Cooked numbers
- America’s pensions crisis: Look to the Dutch
- Saturday essay: A box of Halloween
- Connellsville Area’s basketball coach conundrum
- Tom Wolf & taxes: Let’s get ‘granular’
- A Connellsville inspiration