Laurel: To Bill Peduto. Pittsburgh's new mayor, as promised, has begun releasing his daily schedule. That's a breath of fresh air after former Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's steadfast refusal to treat the public's business as, well, the public's business. Letting the sunshine in is good for everybody. Here's to transparency.
On the “Watch List”:
• The flu. The H1N1 strain of influenza, commonly referred to as swine flu, is sweeping through the region. Local hospital officials say a number of patients have become critically ill from the potent strain and there has been at least one death. The current flu vaccine does includes protection against swine flu. And it's not too late to get a shot. Get one!
• Water lines. First came the deep freeze. Now comes the warm-up. And that's playing havoc with water mains. The extreme contraction and expansion of the equally extreme freeze-thaw cycle is what leads to cracking in mains, especially older ones. And with readings in the 40s and even the 50s expected this weekend, the batch of breaks could be particularly bad.
• True “progressivism”: Here's a challenge for the “progressives” now fully in control of Pittsburgh city government: Washington, D.C., could see a ballot issue in November that would allow residents to grow up to six marijuana plants in each household for personal use and limited transfer. It's a smart step on the road to decriminalization. So, where are Pittsburgh's true “progressives”?
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.