• The Arthur Bedway sentence. The former private security consultant was sentenced to probation for his role in a Pittsburgh Bureau of Police bid-rigging scheme that begat a more expansive investigation of the department that begat a guilty plea to unrelated charges from former police Chief Nate Harper. Mr. Bedway's cooperation with the feds is cited, in part, for the slap on his wrist. But we would expect a bigger fish (or fishes) for such leniency.
• The Southern Beltway, Phase 2. The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission says construction of the toll road from U.S. 22 in Robinson to I-79 at the Allegheny-Washington county line will begin this spring. The 12-mile, half-billion-dollar stretch, part of I-576, is scheduled to open in 2019. We can only wonder how many people won't use the new highway.
• Stealing from VFDs. What is it about volunteer fire companies that invites stealing by supposedly trusted members. Chester Yurkovic, 56, the former president of the Imperial VFD, is the latest in a long line of fire department intimates to be so accused. The Findlay man is charged with skimming more than $5,000 from various fundraisers and misusing a department credit card. How sad that such typically close-knit groups have to have trust issues.
• “Smart meters.” Duquesne Light is the latest Pennsylvania utility to receive state permission to install meters that can be read remotely, better track and analyze electric usage and charge higher rates during peak demand times. That's one thing. It will become another thing — a thing too far — if this leads to government control of our thermostats.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.