Hit the ice!
Cooperation among various city officials and the Connellsville Area School Board could mean that those who enjoy ice skating may have a place outdoors to do so in the city in the near future.
Connellsville Mayor Greg Lincoln as well as New Haven Hose Co. leaders, the city's street head Vern Ohler and others are working on a plan to flood the basketball courts across from South Side School to allow ice skating in the city. The property is owned by the Connellsville Area School District, which supports the plan but which has to check on liability issues before it can give its official OK to the city.
Whether it's an ice skating rink or some other public endeavor, it's encouraging early on in this new year to see the cooperation among city leaders, volunteers and school officials — all working toward one goal.
And what a great addition to the city's recreation front a winter ice rink could be. The older generation of Connellsville residents remembers when there was free ice skating at East Park and in the later years at the same South Side location that is now being considered. Youth and adults alike enjoyed the wintertime activity.
Here's hoping Connellsville residents support these endeavors, and we hope to see more cooperative projects.
By working together, so much more could be done for the betterment of Connellsville.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- Early voting: Hardly healthy
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- Tom Wolf’s ‘Fresh Start’: Vague & stale
- Tom Wolf & taxes: Let’s get ‘granular’
- The Paycheck Fairness Act: It’s not needed