Greensburg Tuesday takes
End the “weekenders”: Problems associated with people serving weekends or “partial confinement” at the Westmoreland County Prison, which include convicts smuggling in drugs or showing up on drugs, should put an end to this wet-noodle sentencing. The county's running a prison, not a hotel. The convenience of the convicted is not a priority. Either sentence the guilty to prison or designate house arrest, when applicable.
Where these's smoke ... : It took firefighters from nearly a dozen Westmoreland County departments to bring under control a recent afternoon chimney fire in Sewickley Township. Some volunteers came from as far away as Bovard. Getting enough manpower at daytime fire calls is becoming a recurring problem. What happens if even two dozen fire companies can't provide enough personnel to handle a structure fire? Sooner rather than later local leaders and volunteer firefighters — who don't always see eye to eye — must address this issue.
Lock 'em: Good ol' police work led officers to two teens after a report of a stolen car and a series of thefts from 50 vehicles in Ligonier Borough. Of course it doesn't help when the keys to the stolen vehicle reportedly were left inside. Don't invite crime: Keep expensive items out of sight, lock your car and, for Pete's sake, take your keys.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Homestead to offer select free-parking days during holiday season
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Western Pa. dairies get creative to ensure eggnog supply
- Kittanning News carries latest books by Boarts and Creel
- Kennywood Holiday Lights festival returns for 5th year
- Carrick crime ‘blitz’ shows early signs of success