Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
Laurel: To the National Weather Service. Last week, when the local TV stations were all doomy/gloomy about the weekend storm and scaring people, the weather service sent a press release stating it's too early to tell the path of this storm, how much precipitation we'd get and whether it would be snow, ice or rain. It also chided those making dire predictions. We'd like to think the release would've resulted in some media outlets toning down their reports. Fat chance, that, but at least the NWS tried.
On the “Watch List”: The Upper Burrell firearms ordinance. It's apparent the local law governing firearms usage has some serious constitutional problems and needs to be changed. But the supervisors were wise not to just kill it. It's common sense to find out what is legal and what isn't under state law and amend it accordingly, hopefully soon.
Good luck I: The Burrell and Fox Chapel girls and the Kiski Area boys basketball teams are in the state playoffs and hoping to make it to the PIAA championship in Hershey. We won't hold our breath on that, but we wish them a great run.
Good luck II: Speaking of Hershey, the PIAA wrestling championships are underway there this weekend. Local schools represented include Kiski Area, Valley, Burrell, Highlands, Kittanning, Plum and Franklin Regional. Don't be surprised to see a few gold medals coming back to the Alle-Kiski Valley.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- Early voting: Hardly healthy
- Mass shootings: Cooked numbers
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Saturday essay: A box of Halloween
- Sunday pops
- Tom Wolf & taxes: Let’s get ‘granular’
- The Paycheck Fairness Act: It’s not needed