PennDOT, Turnpike care what you think
PennDOT and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission officials believe they are on the road to enlightenment.
The agencies teamed up for an online survey to gauge how motorists obtain traffic information and how it impacts driving habits. The anonymous questionnaire is available on the PennDOT and Turnpike websites.
I commend their attempt to improve delivery of information. But the department and commission are squandering an opportunity to gain valuable insights into what people think about other aspects of their operations.
The agencies should consider adding questions applicable to all motorists who use the turnpike, and then add region-specific questions regarding state-maintained roads, bridges and tunnels. With a minimum of online tinkering, the survey could be lengthened:
• What aspect of driving the turnpike most appeals to you?
__ Going past the hundreds of obsolete emergency call boxes that can't be used to call anyone.
__ Mounting a new E-ZPass transponder directly below the rearview mirror.
__ The conversational bon mots from toll booth attendants.
__ The service plaza ambience.
• Besides traffic updates and road conditions, what would you like to see displayed on our variable message signs?
__ Sports scores
__ Cute cat videos
__ Award-winning foreign films
• Should service plazasadd bank branches to more easily enable motorists to apply for loans to pay the turnpike's skyrocketing tolls?
__ Heck yes! As long as the banks provide free Steelers-themed rearview mirror accessories with each completed application.
__ No way! That would greatly lessen the likelihood of every service plaza having enough available space to house a Sbarro.
• How have you been impacted by the frequent weekend Squirrel Hill Tunnel closures?
__ Discovered it's possible to get from Downtown Pittsburgh to Swissvale via Erie, but it takes a while.
__ Learned “detour route” and “standstill” can be synonymous.
__ Other than having to get food supplies dropped in by helicopter because my neighborhood is part of the detour and gridlocked during closures, not at all.
• Are you greatly anticipating driving on the reconfigured Route 28 when crews complete the project?
__ No. I've made good friends over the years with flaggers on the project and I'm worried that our Thursday night poker games might not survive when the road work is done.
__ Absolutely. I've made arrangements to have myself cryogenically frozen so I can be reanimated when the work is finished sometime in 2312.
ATTENTION: NEXT SIX QUESTIONS CLOSEDFOR SENTENCE RECONSTRUCTION
DETOUR THROUGH McDONALD'S CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SURVEY ON NEW QUARTER-POUNDER BURGER VARIETIES
STAY IN LANE UNTIL MERGE POINT
Eric Heyl is a Trib Total Media staff writer. Reach him at 412-320-7857 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies after jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Police investigate rush hour incidents in Shaler, Wexford
- Husband of accused drug-dealing teacher faces his own drug, intimidation charges
- Monessen police investigating drive-by shooting
- DA drops homicide charge against man accused of shooting Homewood bar security guard
- Westmoreland County tourism grants promote banana splits, breweries, trolley, railroad
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Pa. Supreme Court upholds special prosecutor investigating AG Kane
- Scottie Sports Roundup - Beistel places 3rd in national tournament
- Pittsburgh settles second car wash drug-bust lawsuit
- Man awaiting trial for offering drugs to 2 teens found hanged in his Belle Vernon home