“States that extend Medicaid coverage to adults whose income is up to 138 percent of the poverty line will get the federal government to pick up the added costs — for the first three years. After that, the feds promise to pick up 90 percent of the tab forever. The states that choose to expand Medicaid this way will leave states like Louisiana, Wisconsin and North Carolina, which have declined the extension, subsidizing others. This is setting up trouble later.”
— Editorial from The Washington Times, advocating Medicaid block grants to states instead.
“We oppose same-sex marriage, but in the absence of a constitutional amendment enshrining our view it would be wrong for the Supreme Court to block it — and nobody has ever argued otherwise. Proponents of same-sex marriage feel no such inhibitions. The Supreme Court should be more dispassionate.”
— The editors of National Review, writing about the two gay-marriage cases heard last month by the U.S. Supreme Court.
“(G)lobal warming hysteria is based not on any accurate measurements of global climate, but rather on ‘proxies.' That is, scientists give their interpretation of tree rings and bacterial samples in fossils. Global warming ‘science' is strikingly similar to a witch doctor reading the entrails of a goat.”
— Jonathon Moseley, writing in the American Thinker about climate alarmists' vanishing credibility.
“(I)f the central political problem of Obamacare was that it created too many losers alongside its winners, then a successful conservative alternative would be a free-market approach that makes these losers whole again without depriving the winners of their new gains. This is a real possibility.”
— Jay Cost, writing in The Weekly Standard about how ObamaCare is more susceptible to reform than Medicare.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police plan homicide charge for cop-killing suspect
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Man surrenders after standoff in Middle Hill
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Steelers find success vs. NFC