“(T)here is little doubt that Iran and Hamas desperately hope John Kerry or others will manage to impose a cease-fire in Gaza before their stocks of long-range missiles are uncovered and destroyed. This is why it is so important that Israel continue its Gaza operations for as long as it deems necessary, precisely to destroy those missiles. In doing so, Israel is acting not only in its own legitimate self-defense, but in America's as well.”
— John Bolton, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and regular Trib columnist, writing in the New York Post.
“The U.S. has seen foreign policy failures before — for instance, during the Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush years — but previous presidents eventually confronted the costs of their misguided policies and changed course: Carter initiated a defense buildup after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan; Bush initiated the ‘surge' after the early disasters in Iraq.
“It is time for Obama to read the smoke signals and launch a similar course correction. The world can't wait for 2017 to see a more robust American approach.”
— Max Boot, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, writing in the Los Angeles Times.
“Creating systems for regulating manufacture, sale and marketing will be complex. But those problems are solvable, and would have long been dealt with had we as a nation not clung to the decision to make marijuana production and use a federal crime.”
— from a New York Times editorial calling for an end to the federal prohibition against marijuana.
“The White House may consider ... unilateral amnesty a winning move on several different levels: it gets its policy goal; it satisfies an important part of its base; and if there is any serious move toward impeachment, it rallies the entirety of the Democratic base in a way we haven't seen since 2008 and — assuming the politics of impeachment are bad for Republicans — drives the middle away from the GOP.”
e_SDHp— Rich Lowry, writing in National Review Online.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- First Amendment experts decry Plum authorities’ warning to students
- Penguins eliminated with Game 5 overtime loss to Rangers
- Fleury valiant in defeat
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Former Olympian Bruce Jenner comes out as transgender: ‘I am a woman’
- All Pennsylvanians to pay more, GOP gleans from report on Wolf’s tax plan
- Rangers’ defensive plan against Penguins was unwavering
- Death toll from Nepal earthquake reaches at least 876
- 2 Hempfield Area students charged with sexting