Letter to the editor: Comparing motorcycles, bicycles
Regarding Scott Bricker's letter “Perpetuating myths about bikes & roads” : Having been a licensed motorcycle operator for 46 years, I have observed the following:
• Aside from Pennsylvania sales tax at purchase, there are no other fees or requirements associated with owning a bicycle.
• There is no mandatory vehicle insurance for bicycle owners.
• There is no annual registration fee for bicycles. (My trailer, however, though it does not have an engine, is also subject to Allegheny County's $5 vehicle registration tax.)
• Bicycle owners are not subject to the tire tax for replacement tires.
• There is no requirement for an operator's license for bicycle owners, even though they must follow the same roadway regulations as motor vehicles.
If the occasion arises and I see a bicyclist traveling in the correct direction on a one-way street or stop for a stop sign or red light, I may thank the operator and shake his or her hand.
John M. Figler