No win for taxpayers
To rebut the letter “Wind, environment win” (Jan. 8 and TribLIVE.com) by Mary Kate Ranii, Western Pennsylvania field organizer for PennEnvironment: First, so-called “global warming” is not proven science. It is a scheme generated by environmental extremists and liberals as a United Nations global redistribution of wealth.
How can she prove wind power is reducing global warming emissions equal to 218,000 cars, and what are the current emissions rates?
Facts that she fails to disclose:
• The wind industry has benefited from this egregious subsidy for 20 years. If it can't survive on its own for 20 years, wind energy is not self-sustaining.
• Wind-industry firms have laid off approximately 2,800 employees, one-third of them from Siemens alone since September.
• Wind power is not reliable for consistently producing energy. “Wind” says it all, and when the wind doesn't blow, then what? Run off batteries?
• The tax credit of 2.2 cents per kilowatt-hour lasts for 10 years. A wind farm built in 2012 will continue to receive the subsidy until 2022 at an approximate cost of $12 billion in tax money.
Failed “green” energy projects subsidized by the Obama administration — Solyndra, A123, Tesla, Chevy Volt, etc. — have cost taxpayers billions.
It's not government's role to pick winners and losers. Wind power is another failed taxpayer subsidy that must end. Drive to the Johnstown area and see how many wind turbines sit idle.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bible under attack
- Gruber, then & now III
- Family first
- Voting insanity
- Gruber, then & now II
- Gruber, then & now I
- Postal questions
- Better immigration recipe
- Something special
- EPA impoverishing seniors
- Hypocrisy & B’nai B’rith