Gun-fee idea misfires II
So Jim Byrnes, writer of the letter “Assess fee to own guns,” wants to impose a $1,000 annual fee for the exercise of Second Amendment rights? This reminds me of poll taxes Southern Democrats imposed to deter blacks from exercising their constitutional right to vote.
But if Mr. Byrnes thinks this approach is sound, I have an idea that would save far more lives: Impose a $1,000 fee for voting Democrat. Given that murder and abortion rates are much higher in cities and states governed by Democrats, my suggestion would save thousands of innocent lives every year.
Upper St. Clair
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- High school notebook: TJ, Clairton head into enemy territory
- PSU Fayette men’s basketball team loses to Lock Haven
- Soutmoreland girls basketball team primary goal: playoffs
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Norway mulls using medical heroin to prevent deadly overdoses
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Israel suspends contact with some EU groups over labels on exports
- Iran gives investors glimpse of $30 billion in oil deals to come
- Find the perfect gift for each of the foodies on your holiday list
- Penguins centermen enjoying better faceoff success rate
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport