Study the Bible
Study the Bible
Regarding Bruce Braden's reply letter (“Christmas not that unique,” Dec. 30) to my letter about Christmas (“Jesus' birthday,” Dec. 16): It's evident he has not studied the Bible and lacks the Holy Spirit within to enable him to discern the truth.
If works can take people to heaven, then why did Jesus die on the cross to pay in full for our sins and has risen from the dead? Jesus said in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me!”
We are first reborn spiritually by grace and faith in Jesus, then enabled to serve the Lord by our works.
Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us we are saved by grace, which means undeserved favor and merit through faith and not of works, lest any man should boast.
Martin Luther started the Reformation by breaking from the Roman Catholic Church's bondage by reading God's word in Romans 1:17 — the just shall live by faith.
No amount of personal effort, good works or religious deeds can earn a place in heaven for people.
The thief on the cross did no works and was saved by faith in the words of Jesus alone.
I rest my case.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cambodian students answer Oakmont group’s prayers
- Inmate wants confiscated cash back so he can hire attorney
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Leechburg Area School District contracts with Pittsburgh firm for online database
- Ringgold School Board bans book in haste
- Apollo-Ridge School District Waterline break …
- Lincoln council passes ordinances to help ‘protect residents’
- Readers retain fond memories of people, places
- Ringgold to seek state’s help funding new school building
- Donora seems ready to sue over school sale
- Mont. senator’s thesis appears to have been plagarized