The election is over and America has chosen its direction. Perhaps future historians will unravel the sad mystery that caused such a rapid and drastic change in the values and beliefs that made America great. I certainly cannot.
It is sad that in 2008 a man with no credentials qualifying him for the presidency was elected. He had not run a business or governed a state or a city.
Among his first-term “accomplishments”:
• $1 trillion-plus yearly deficits that ballooned the national debt to more than $16 trillion.
• Unemployment in excess of 8 percent.
• An anemic economy, with the few small-business start-ups.
• Higher gasoline prices.
• A foreign policy that has degraded America's influence and power.
• Unprecedented partisanship in Congress and divisiveness in the country.
Even sadder, his post-election goal will be to continue to “fundamentally transform America.”
The saddest part of the mystery is that the same mentality that elected him will control future elections. I believe President Obama will fundamentally transform America. And we will not like the transformation.
Michael G. Bitterice