Published: Saturday, May 4, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
It seems that the Republican Party is very successful in alienating the majority of Americans.
The latest example is the statement by U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, one of the most notorious tea partyers. He said President Obama used the Newtown parents as pawns in the gun debate.
Pawns? These people lost their children to a horrific act of gun violence. They had every right to go to Congress and plead their case for background checks.
In a display of greed, fear and cowardice, the majority of Republicans and four Democrat senators allowed themselves to be pushed around by the NRA and voted against background checks. They are the real pawns.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cranberry woman wins Miss Pennsylvania USA pageant
- Pitt to face MAC champ Bowling Green in Little Caesars Pizza Bowl
- Penguins players are not out looking for fights
- Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Washington, Westmoreland counties weigh shale gas drilling on public land
- Illness briefly sidelines mayor, but he’s back in the game by late week
- Truck driver blames sneeze for crash in Washington County
- Kovacevic: Enough of these Steelers already
- Wrestling attendance record falls as Penn State tops Pitt
- Penguins’ Orpik out; Neal to have phone hearing
- Homer City teen pens apocalyptic novel featuring zombies
- Restaurateur’s roots planted in Mon Valley