Benedum & babies
I'm in the area visiting family and we decided to attend the play “The Little Mermaid” at the Benedum Center. I went with my parents, along with my 3-year-old daughter and 7-month-old baby.
Although I had tickets, the Benedum would not let me in with the baby. I was told the children had to be age 3 or older to get into the theater.
But the ticket says all ages admitted and so does the Benedum website.
I nurse my child so he needs to be with me. I sent my daughter ahead with my parents while I tried to sort this out.
I never imagined that I really would not get in. But the Benedum employees would not even let me in to speak with them.
When I asked if I could go in with the baby once he was asleep, the answer was still no. They shut the doors on me and I was left to wander the streets with a 7-month-old baby until the show ended.
This is discrimination against nursing mothers. If the Benedum wants to have this policy, it needs to let people know that. “The Little Mermaid” is a kids show.
I'm looking for some support on this issue.
Green River, Wyo.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates showing interest in starting pitcher Masterson
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- Exhibits celebrate Pittsburgh artist Haskell’s works
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- Downtown barbershop target of racial-slur graffiti
- CPR helps revive Heinz Field worker with cardiac arrest
- In letter to Congress, former national security experts back settling Syrian refugees
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- Authorities recover rifle used to kill Westmoreland police officer
- Monessen lawyer disbarred by state disciplinary board
- Jury acquits defendant in Mt. Oliver murder case