Walter Williams is usually right on, but he did a disservice to senior citizens on Social Security in his column “Is there a way out?” (Oct. 30 and TribLIVE.com). As do other writers, he refers to Social Security as an “entitlement.”
He should remember that most seniors paid into the program all of their working lives.
There was to be a “fund” that would pay out Social Security monies to recipients. Congress has maintained the fund, but has stolen the money intended for it and replaced it with IOUs.
Let's not pretend that Social Security is a “handout.”
Politicians, in their wisdom, have twisted the funding of the program to the general fund, a never-intended use of that money.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers clinch playoff berth with win over Chiefs
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Energy sector adjusts to global oil plummet
- Fatal fire under investigation in New Castle
- Police investigate alleged institutional sexual assault at Pine youth treatment center
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- New York farmers lament lost opportunity for gas riches
- Car wash explosion, fire injures 2 in McDonald
- Groom cited at Farmington wedding reception being filmed for reality TV show
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Teachers at 2 Armstrong schools go casual for a cause