Fuel tax increase
This is my letter to our state representatives and senators in Harrisburg: Elections are coming up, and every time a voter fills his gas tank, he will be reminded of the gasoline tax increase you recently enacted.
You will be voted out. Raising taxes in the middle of a recession shows you are totally out of touch with the average Pennsylvanian. This increase is nothing to you because you get compensated for your car and gas — paid by us!
There is plenty of money for roads if you spend road taxes on roads, not on your pet projects such as bicycle trails through the woods, museums, playgrounds, petting zoos and all the other little scams you think up to buy votes. What about merging the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, that bastion of patronage do-nothings, into PennDOT?
The next time you vote, reject the tax increases. Take our side for once.
Berwyn, Chester County
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Attorney: Ferguson grand jury has reached decision
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Two judges with Pittsburgh ties announce candidacies for Pa. Supreme Court
- Turnpike employees disciplined over sexually explicit emails
- Google lunar contest: Pittsburgh team unveils rover
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- Bunny Mellon auction fetches $218 million
- High winds knock out power, injure man at Cranberry construction site
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Judge orders 28 UPMC protesters who blocked traffic to do community service
- 4 injured when vehicles collide, car plows into North Huntingdon auto body shop