Don't override the mayor
We always hope that the council members of Springdale Borough have the best interests of residents at heart. Apparently, in the case of taxes, they do not.
If they did, they wouldn't be raising taxes by 44 percent, costing residents $100 or so more than what they're currently paying. Coupled with the school tax, this is becoming unbearable.
I stand with Mayor Ken Lloyd on this issue. We should be helping the citizens of this community and encouraging them to stay here. Instead, council members are raising taxes during a bad economy when people are struggling, making it more likely they will leave for a place with less of a tax burden — and somewhere willing to invest in strengthening its police department.
I implore council to reconsider its override vote of Mayor Lloyd's veto and work with the mayor and police chief instead of ramming budgets or bills through without discussion.
Shawn Fitzgerald Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Student suicide brings issue of bullying to fore in New Kensington-Arnold
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins’ competition among bottom six
- Harrison mom, boyfriend charged in abuse of young boys
- Drivers survive head-on crash on Route 356 in Allegheny Township
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Apollo targets owners who fail to maintain vacant properties
- Snow sculptors have a ball with Iceburgh, Einstein
- Fast-growing Americans for Prosperity opens location in Greensburg
- Charges dropped in dad’s stabbing
- Penguins notebook: No discipline for Capitals’ Wilson