Palin delights CPAC with zingers
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin delivered a blistering attack on President Obama on Saturday, using a string of one-liners to rile up a raucous crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference in suburban Washington.
“Barack Obama promised the most transparent administration ever. Barack Obama: You lie!” she said.
Palin's jabs were met with standing ovations. The response made clear that she maintains huge political capital with the conservative base.
She took aim at the president for his and the first lady's many appearances on television.
“Remember no-drama Obama? If only. Now it's all-drama Obama,” Palin said. “We don't have leadership coming out of Washington. We have reality television. Except it's really bad TV, and America tuned out a long time ago.”
Turning to guns, Palin criticized the background-checks bill that passed through a Senate committee last week and Obama's push for gun control.
“More background checks?” Palin said. “Dandy idea, Mr. President. Shoulda started with yours.”
Obama was the biggest target of Palin's speech, though, and she got her biggest applause lines when she took on the incumbent president, often addressing him directly.
“You won. We get it. Now step away from the teleprompter and do your job,” she said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- Alvarez’s walk-off single lifts Pirates over Padres
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- Torn thumb ligament puts Pirates’ Harrison on 15-day disabled list
- Accident closes Route 22 in Murrysville
- $11.13M project to close section of Pittsburgh’s Mifflin Road
- Pair charged with prostitution-related offenses in South Greensburg
- Crazy Mocha owner likes comfort, says shrewd decisions foster growth
- Living Treasures animal park plans upset Liberty residents
- New Ken police arrest cobbler robbery suspects
- Plum school board berated for pulling back on new school