Palin delights CPAC with zingers
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin delivered a blistering attack on President Obama on Saturday, using a string of one-liners to rile up a raucous crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference in suburban Washington.
“Barack Obama promised the most transparent administration ever. Barack Obama: You lie!” she said.
Palin's jabs were met with standing ovations. The response made clear that she maintains huge political capital with the conservative base.
She took aim at the president for his and the first lady's many appearances on television.
“Remember no-drama Obama? If only. Now it's all-drama Obama,” Palin said. “We don't have leadership coming out of Washington. We have reality television. Except it's really bad TV, and America tuned out a long time ago.”
Turning to guns, Palin criticized the background-checks bill that passed through a Senate committee last week and Obama's push for gun control.
“More background checks?” Palin said. “Dandy idea, Mr. President. Shoulda started with yours.”
Obama was the biggest target of Palin's speech, though, and she got her biggest applause lines when she took on the incumbent president, often addressing him directly.
“You won. We get it. Now step away from the teleprompter and do your job,” she said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies in North Buffalo fire
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Kiski River search finds kayak but no kayaker
- Ice Miners not returning to Connellsville
- Juvenile status hearing, trial delayed in Franklin Regional stabbings
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Penguins notebook: After reinterpreting rule, draft pick sought for Bylsma’s hiring
- North Huntingdon man injured, dog dies in house fire
- Dormont man missing since Wednesday found dead at Station Square
- Pittsburgh police arrest Overbrook man for Allentown playground shooting
- Overhaul possible for West Mifflin’s Century III Mall