Obama raises funds for Democrats, demands GOP cooperation
LOS ALTOS, Calif. — With Congress struggling against time to address key legislation, President Obama on Wednesday portrayed Republicans as members of a party that “has no agenda other than making government not work.” He said that view breeds public cynicism that helps the GOP by dissuading the public to vote.
Obama's critique of Republicans was delivered during a fundraising appearance in this wealthy enclave in the San Francisco Bay area, where he cast himself as being above the political fray, even as he embarks on one of his most intense money-raising sprees for the Democratic Party.
“The reason politics does not work in Washington, I want to be clear, is not because both parties are in the tank,” he told donors at an event that raised money for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. “The reason it does not work right now is because we have one party that has no agenda other than making government not work, whose primary function, whose primary purpose if you distill their ideology comes down to saying ‘no' to any efforts to help ordinary families get ahead.”
House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, noted on Tuesday that the Republican-controlled House has passed numerous pieces of legislation that he says would boost the economy but have stalled in the Democratic-led Senate.
“If he's serious, he'll help us break the logjam in his party's Senate and make more progress for Americans still asking, ‘Where are the jobs?' ” Boehner said.
Obama's fundraising involves at least six events over three days in Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Pennsylvania shale gas producers received hundreds of environmental citations in 4 years, PennEnvironment says
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Blawnox couple jailed in woman’s alleged abuse of boyfriend’s child
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Mt. Lebanon awaits Pennsylvania Game Commission approval to corral, kill deer
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch creates sports medicine startup at Pitt
- Penn Hills water main break creates car-swallowing sinkhole