Governor candidates Corbett, Wolf net at least $31M from donors
Donors to the campaigns of Republican Gov. Tom Corbett and his Democratic challenger, Tom Wolf, have given at least $31 million.
Of the $13 million that Corbett reported raising in 2013 and 2014, donors who gave at least $10,000 accounted for two-thirds of that, or $8.8 million, an Associated Press analysis has found.
Of the $18.1 million in donations Wolf reported over the same period, the $10,000 club, including himself, accounted for nearly all of it — $16.6 million.
Below is a breakdown of the donors who reached the $10,000 mark, based on finance reports submitted to the state by the two campaigns. The figures are current through June 9, the latest data the campaigns were required to make available. The next campaign finance reports are due Sept. 23. The election is Nov. 4.
Top 10 donors to Tom Corbett
1. Republican Governors Association, $1.82 million
2. John M. Templeton Jr., president and CEO, Templeton Foundation, $420,000
3. Republican Party of Pennsylvania, $346,846
4. John S. Middleton, $300,000
5. H.F. “Gerry” Lenfest, owner, Interstate General Media (parent company of The Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News), $252,000
6. Pennsylvania Future Fund political action committee, $152,500
7. Albert Boscov, chairman and CEO, Boscov's Department Store LLC, $150,000
8. Joseph Neubauer, chairman, Aramark Holdings Corp., $126,600
9. David E. Barensfeld, president, Ellwood Group Inc., $102,000
10. Lance Shaner, CEO, Shaner Enterprises, $100,000
Top 10 donors to Tom Wolf
1. Tom Wolf, $10 million
2. M. Thomas Grumbacher, chairman, The Bon-Ton Stores, $1.15 million
3. American Federation of Teachers and affiliates, $610,000
4. Service Employees International Union, $500,000
5. Pennsylvania State Education Association, $500,000
6. Louis J. Appell Jr., chairman, Susquehanna Real Estate LP, $475,000
7. William Wolf, father, $450,000
8. Bill Zimmerman, cousin, $350,000
9. Democratic Governors Association, $261,000
10. George W. Hodges, chairman, York Water Co., $250,000
Notable donors to both campaigns
1. Saul Ewing LLP and its lawyers, $114,000 ($102,000 to Corbett; $12,000 to Wolf)
2. Ballard Spahr LLC and its lawyers, $81,000 ($51,000 to Corbett; $30,000 to Wolf)
3. Stradley Ronon Stevens and Young LLC and its lawyers, $79,000 ($64,000 to Corbett; $15,000 to Wolf)
4. Graham Co. executives, $70,000 ($42,000 to Wolf, $28,000 to Corbett)