High school notebook: Seneca Valley coach likes view from above
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Seneca Valley coach Don Holl took an unorthodox approach when he abandoned the Raiders sideline, but the results have been exceptional.
In three games since the move, Seneca Valley has outscored opponents, 147-21, including a 34-7 victory over No. 6 Central Catholic. Holl will watch from above again Friday when No. 5 Seneca Valley (5-1) faces No. 8 North Hills (5-1) at Martorelli Stadium, a key game in the Quad North.
“I think (the move) was productive,” said Holl, who calls his team's offensive plays. “It was exactly what I expected it to be. I think I was better, and as a result, we were better.”
In their first three games this season, with Holl on the sideline, the Raiders scored 77 points. But after a 45-3 loss to North Allegheny in Week 3, Holl moved upstairs. It was an idea he'd considered before, having once been a college coordinator. But he was reluctant to leave the sideline, knowing there might be logistical issues.
“I had a feeling I would be more effective, but I was never quite convinced that the downside wouldn't be significant,” Holl said. “But the more we thought about it, I realized I'm saying one thing and doing another. I do believe I'd be better up there, and maybe what I needed to do was give it a try.”
Springdale's Sean Dugan could be the Dynamos' career rushing leader before the end of the month. The senior has 3,513 yards and stands 361 from the mark set by Wayne Mundekis (3,874) from 2002-05.
Dugan ranks fifth in the WPIAL this season with 999 yards on 127 carries. He averages 166 yards per game.
Bethel Park's Levi Metheny, Kiski Area's Lincoln Clayton and Avonworth's Zach Chandler certainly didn't play like freshmen last Friday.
Metheny completed 8 of 12 passes for 176 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-7 victory over Penn Hills. Clayton rushed for 187 yards and two touchdowns in a 36-14 victory over Norwin. Chandler led two scoring drives in a 19-15 overtime loss to North Catholic.
Chris Harlan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Dubinsky suspended for cross-check on SidneyCrosby
- Downtown holiday parade festive, but turnout low
- Howard leads West Virginia over Iowa State
- Pitt notebook: Offensive struggles continue
- WPIAL Class A notes: Return sparks Clairton for 2nd straight week
- Barefoot toddlers found wandering in Uniontown Hospital lot
- Clairton captures 12th WPIAL football championship
- Pakistan’s private schools chief rebukes teenage activist Malala Yousafzai
- Dinner-show to kick off holiday season at Albert Gallatin
- Penguins notebook: Players prepared for tough schedule in minors