PIHL says National Anthem still in works
By Chris Harlan
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 10:26 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
It might not happen before dawn's early light, but the National Anthem soon will become part of every PIHL game.
Commissioner Ed Sam said Thursday that some of the area's ice rinks are not equipped to play the Star-Spangled Banner during pregame ceremonies, but the PIHL was working with those arenas to make it possible.
“We're dealing with rinks that might not be used to stuff like this,” Sam said. “We'll be having it at every game.”
The anthem was not played before Thursday's Quaker Valley/Mars game at Airport Ice Arena in Moon.
“It could be that they didn't have the facilities to do it,” Sam said, “but it's coming. It's just taking us time to get everything together.”
The PIHL created a stir this week when Sam encouraged teams to eliminate the anthem for extra ice time, a finite commodity for the scholastic ice hockey league. The move was intended to allow games to end within their designated time slots.
However, the league reversed course Tuesday with a plan to standardize the playing of the anthem before every game.
“We're developing the mechanics to get it all taken care of,” Sam said.
Chris Harlan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- State says two judicial candidates erroneously listed as missing deadline
- Sen. Costa blasts Republicans on transportation, liquor privatization bills
- Pittsburgh police arrest bicyclist after chase through the South Side
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Government says it recorded Ohio jail conversation because of Redbank man’s threats to witness, not his Muslim beliefs
- Goalie Anderson stands tall in Senators’ victory over Penguins
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
- Former Charleroi pastor indicted on child pornography charge
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.