NHL notebook: Bruins ship Thomas to Islanders
• Veteran goalie Tim Thomas, who has said he won't play this season, was traded by the Bruins to the Islanders on Thursday for a conditional second-round draft choice either next year or in 2015. Thomas chose to take this season off following the NHL lockout and was suspended by the Bruins after he didn't report to training camp last month. The 38-year-old goalie is in the final season of a four-year deal that counts for $5 million against the salary cap. The Islanders have plenty of room to fit Thomas' salary on their cap, and this deal provides financial flexibility for the Bruins. Thomas, a two-time Vezina Trophy winner as the NHL's top goalie, has played in 378 regular-season games — all with the Bruins.
• The Flyers signed defenseman Kimmo Timonen to a one-year contract extension through the 2013-14 season.
• The Devils are keeping first-round draft pick Stefan Matteau with the NHL team for now. The Devils put the 18-year-old Matteau in the lineup for Thursday night's game against the Lightning, marking his sixth game of the regular season. The decision means that the first year of his contract kicks in for this lockout-shortened 48-game season.
• Rangers captain Ryan Callahan returned to the New York lineup a tad earlier than expected and at the expense of veteran forward Brian Boyle. Callahan was expected to be sidelined 10 to 14 days after he dislocated his shoulder in New York's victory over Philadelphia on Jan. 29. Instead, he was in the lineup Thursday against the Islanders — nine days after he got hurt.
• The Blue Jackets activated defenseman Nikita Nikitin off injured reserve after he missed three games with an upper-body injury.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy TV’s odds
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Ukraine rejects Russia’s call for cease-fire, warns of ‘great war’ against Russian aggressor
- Coping with Kids: Gear up and get powered
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade