HS Buzz: Shaler's Thorpe to play in all-star event
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Saturday, April 20, 2013, 11:56 p.m.
Shaler senior Geno Thorpe was selected for the Mary Kline Classic, a high school basketball all-star game June 2 at Philadelphia University.
Thorpe, a Penn State-bound point guard, was one of three Pennsylvania players chosen.
The others were Lower Merion's B.J. Johnson (Syracuse) and Imhotep Charter's Brandon Austin (Providence). The third-year charity event raises funds for the National Brain Tumor Society.
Sending out invites
Track and field teams will put their postseason preparation into high gear this week with a variety of invitationals.
The annual Midwestern Athletic Conference Invitational is Wednesday at Mars High School.
The Penn Relays Carnival is Thursday-Saturday at the University of Pennsylvania. Among the local competitors will be Fox Chapel's Ethan Martin (3,000-meter run) and Colin Martin (3,000-meter run), Ambridge's India McCoy (high jump) and Greensburg Salem's Courtney McQuaide (pole vault).
Friday's schedule includes the Black Hills Conference meet at Chartiers-Houston and the Mars Invitational at Mars.
The 91st annual Westmoreland County Coaches' Association meet is Saturday at Latrobe Memorial Stadium.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Former PPG executive indicted in fatal NH crash
- Wilkinsburg woman, 24, dies in crash
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Review: Springsteen promises quick return at Pittsburgh show
- Heyl: Even crooks know UPMC’s full of it
- Alaska’s Iditarod Trail challenges Unity couple
- Hearing to determine fate of sergeant accused of killing 2 deaf Iraqi boys
- Belle Vernon firefighter faces harassment charges