TribProspect: Charleroi's Brandon Bowman
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Brandon Bowman loves to block.
What he prefers, more than anything, is getting a running start.
After spending two seasons on the offensive line at Charleroi, Bowman embraced his move to fullback. Not only does he get to carry the ball on occasion — he was averaging 4.8 yards per carry through the first two games — but he gets to hit.
“I love lead blocking,” Bowman said. “I like just taking people's heads off. And you get to do it full-speed ahead.”
Bowman is attracting interest at fullback and linebacker because of his frame, strength (squats 600, benches 365) and 4.7-range speed.
Pitt, which likes him at fullback, invited Bowman to the Florida State game. Akron, which likes him at linebacker, invited him to the James Madison game last weekend.
“He's a good point-of-attack blocker,” Charleroi coach Ed Jenkins said. “That's his biggest strength. He does carry it well for a fullback. He has deceptive footwork, and he's strong. He's always got two or three guys on his back and he keeps his legs churning.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: Sting making history fighting for WWE title
- Steelworkers scoff at ATI earnings claim
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- New Kensington firemen honor fallen brother, ‘hero’
- Board members bring business attitude to nonprofit August Wilson
- Record-holding female motorcyclist to speak at Lincoln Highway event
- Vintage drive-in theaters’ prices, upgrades still draw in Western Pa.
- Pitt basketball team starting to get injured players back
- Morton inconsistent, Pirates’ bats go quiet in 5-0 loss to Rockies