NFL notebook: Romo's season over after back surgery
• Tony Romo's season is over, and the Cowboys will have to win without their star quarterback in a third straight playoffs-or-bust finale. Coach Jason Garrett said Romo had back surgery Friday, and Kyle Orton will start when Dallas faces Philadelphia on Sunday night with the NFC East title on the line. Dallas linebacker Sean Lee (Upper St. Clair, Penn State) will miss his third straight game with a sprained neck.
• Less than three years after being one of the most prized free agents on the market, Nnamdi Asomugha's NFL career is over. Asomugha announced his retirement at the Raiders' headquarters, ending his 11-year career at the place he had his most success.
• Walter Thurmond is returning from his four-game suspension just in time to join the Seattle Seahawks for the postseason. Thurmond was suspended in November for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Byron Maxwell has started with Thurmond out and will be Seattle's starter Sunday against St. Louis.
• Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson was fined $60,000 by the NFL for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Rams receiver Stedman Bailey last Sunday. St. Louis linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar was fined $21,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit. Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson was docked $15,750 for roughing the passer. Buffalo receiver Robert Woods was fined $15,750 for punching Miami safety Reshad Jones.
• Bills rookie quarterback EJ Manuel won't start the season finale at New England because of a small tear in a left knee ligament that will not require surgery. Backup Thad Lewis will start. ... The Bears announced a four-year extension with Robbie Gould, locking in one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history through the 2017 season. ... Adrian Peterson is doubtful for the final regular-season game against the Lions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- ATI contract expires today; union reports no progress in negotiations
- Pittsburgh woman accused of shoplifting at Mills mall
- Deaths from diabetes, heart disease, cancer blamed on sugary beverages
- Donora woman wins state nursing award
- Rockin’ Ribfest in Connellsville on weekend
- Charges to mount as captured New York prison escapee gets better
- Dorfman: Dillard’s, Micron make Casualty List
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Roundup: Sysco pulls out of US Foods buyout; more
- Rain halts Grebb League openers