Rocco, Sabula shine in West Shamokin win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Shamokin`s Anthony Rocco and Andrew Sabula split hero duties during a 3-2 road win over Summit Academy in Section 3-AA play on Wednesday.
Rocco, the winning pitcher, struck out 16, allowed two hits and walked just one batter during his complete game for the Wolves (5-4, 2-1). Sabula, responsible for two of the team`s three hits, drove in Matt Van Horn with a single in the top of the seventh inning for the game-winner.
Sabula had a double, as did Derek Fleming. In the seventh, Van Horn was hit by a pitch and stole second to move into scoring position.
Eric Richards, the losing pitcher, tripled for Summit Academy (0-5, 0-3), which tied the game in the bottom of the sixth.
Ford City 8, Apollo-Ridge 4 — Blake Bowser went 4-for-4 with a double for Ford City (2-4, 1-1), which trailed, 3-0, after four innings but scored twice in the fifth and four times in the sixth during the Section 3-AA win. David Lattanzio had three hits, including a double. And Justin Retzer earned the win as pitcher, striking out 10 in seven innings.
Sam Held singled, doubled, homered and drove in three runs for Apollo-Ridge (2-2, 1-1).
East Allegheny 7, Kittanning 6 — Kittanning (1-6, 0-3) dropped the Section 4-AAA contest after leading, 5-1, through three innings. East Allegheny (3-5, 1-2) scored two runs in the bottom of the fourth, fifth and seventh innings.
Burrell 10, Freeport 9 (9 inn.) — Freeport (4-4, 1-2) led, 6-0, after two innings and 9-5 after the top of the sixth but allowed Burrell (3-4, 2-0) to score three in the bottom of the sixth and tie the score in the seventh during the Section 3-AA game.
Austin Devore drove in Tyler Reynolds for the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth with a sacrifice fly to left field.
Apollo-Ridge 13, Shady Side Academy 12 — Brittany Hill, Sara Stiffey and Sammi Geracia each doubled for Apollo-Ridge (4-3, 2-2), which overcame nine errors with a 15-hit performance in the Section 3-AA game.
Shady Side Academy (0-3, 0-3), which trailed, 12-8, after four innings, had the bases loaded with no outs in the top of the seventh but did not score.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Inside the glass: Penguins’ Martin, Ehrhoff look comfortable together
- Police say rifle carried by suspect in state trooper ambush found
- Woodlands Foundation toasts FedEx Ground volunteers at Butterfly Ball
- How to take good care of kitchen appliances
- Ex-etiquette: As kids age, consider change in visitation schedule
- Sole Highlands HS twirler follows in grandmother’s footsteps
- Duquesne Light hires new operations vice president
- Concept Art sale is big on local big-name artists
- Pitt notebook: Receiving depth up in the air