Greensburg Trib Spotlight Female Athlete of the Week
By Andrew John
Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2012
School: Greensburg Salem
Claim to fame: Oberdorf made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 28 points to lead Greensburg Salem (6-8, 3-4) in a 55-46 win over Laurel Highlands in Section 3-AAA action Jan. 19. Oberdorf scored 22 points in a 51-47 loss to Franklin Regional on Jan. 21, and also added 19 points in a 54-46 loss to Mt. Pleasant on Jan. 16. Oberdorf also pitches for the Greensburg Salem softball team.
"I'm just happy right now because I have been working on my shot a lot in practice, and now it's coming along," Oberdorf said.
What's your favorite sport, basketball or softball?
I'd say whatever is in season. It just depends.
You have a younger sister, Claire. Is there any sisterly competition•
We just push each other a lot. Sometimes it's frustrating, but after practice we are still friends.
Who's the better athlete?
We're different. She's more of a finesse player. She is more natural, and I just power my way through everything.
What's your favorite part about sports?
Definitely love having something to do and always being active. If I had to go home and do homework, I wouldn't like it. I just like hanging out with my teammates the best. We are like a family.
What's your most memorable moment?
Beating Laurel Highlands (last) Thursday because it was a much needed win for us.
What do you like the most, hitting a game-winning 3-pointer or having an outstanding pitching performance?
Since it's basketball season, I would have to say hitting the game-winning 3. If it was softball season, it would be the other way around.
- Illegal dumping case continued
- Police charge 3 in burglary
- Study: Traffic jams siphon $1B a year from region’s drivers
- Rookie running back Bell vows to protect Big Ben
- Written records carry risk of skimming, says accountant reviewing Pittsburgh city books
- Anglers, others don’t want Kingston dam to go
- Students learn skills through simulation lab
- Three-time Emmy winner, ‘Sopranos’ star James Gandolfini dead at 51
- Cyber studies lead Latrobe grad to West Point
- Alonzo Bodden: Makes you laugh (when he’s not donating kidneys)
- States, environmental groups delay suit against EPA, watch for climate plan