Regional fishing report
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A guide to where the fish are biting around Western Pennsylvania:
> > Anglers on the Allegheny River have been getting smallmouth bass — on tubes — jigs and minnows, but the fishing has slowed compared to earlier in the spring, according to reports.
> > On the Yough River, trout are being caught between Smithton and West Newton. Smallmouth bass also have been active, especially for those using minnows, according to reports.
> > All three Deer Lakes also were giving up decent numbers of rainbow trout this past week. Powerbait and wax worms seemed to be working the best.
> > At Pymatuning Lake, walleyes have been hitting for those drifting nightcrawlers and jigs, trolling worm harnesses, using lures like Hot ‘N Tots and casting shallow-running plugs from shore at night, according to multiple reports. The crappie bite also has been good lately, and anglers have been catching some nice-sized perch.
> > Presque Isle Bay has been giving up good-sized perch, while the smallmouth bass fishing has slowed.
> > Upper and Lower Twin lakes were giving up trout to anglers fishing Powerbait, spinners and meal worms this week. The area along the wall near the Lower Lake boathouse was said to be particularly active.
> > At Yellow Creek Lake, anglers in the shallower bays using minnows and minnow plugs were doing well on northern pike. Bluegills were also being caught along with some bass and crappies.
> > Anglers fishing from boats at Raccoon Lake were doing well on trout all week, according to reports. Powerbait, wax worms and minnows were all taking fish.
> > Shenango Dam has been giving up crappies in 8 to 17 feet of water over brushpiles.
> > At Lake Wilhelm, largemouth bass have been providing some action for those using jigs with trailers. Smallish crappies and bluegills also have been biting.
> > At Lake Arthur, reports on walleyes have been sketchy, but anglers have been catching crappies, bluegills and largemouth bass. Minnows fished under a bobber or with a jig have been taking the crappies.
> > Virgin Run Dam has been getting good attendance from trout anglers, and reportedly they`ve been doing well. Catches, including many limits, have been reported on spinners and all sorts of live baits.
> > North Park Lake has been giving up numbers of trout, primarily on green and yellow Powerbait, according to one report. Anglers have been getting them from boats and from shore.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Fox Chapel grad VIllani performing magic for Wizards
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Pennsylvania Game Commission reaps revenue from shale gas under game lands
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- University of Pittsburgh researchers revisit war of electric currents
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character