Leechburg advances in WPIAL playoffs
By Leader Times
Published: Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Tuesday's WPIAL Class A preliminary-round volleyball match between Geibel and Leechburg was a roller-coaster ride.
After a strong start and a not-so-good middle, the Blue Devils put together a fine finish and defeated the Gators in four games, 25-18, 25-16, 19-25, 25-20, at Derry.
"In the third game, we weren't desperate," Leechburg coach Lindsey Simon said. "But the girls did their jobs. They did what they were supposed to do."
Leechburg (9-6) advances to the first round and will travel to Avonworth to face the second-seeded Antelopes at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
"We're confident," Simon said. "I know Avonworth is a great team, but I know we have a great group of girls."
-- Leechburg sophomore Matt Barto first trip to the PIAA individual golf championships ended a bit disappointing
Barto, Leechburg's first PIAA qualifier, finished the PIAA tournament tied for 40th place with a two-day score of 165 at Heritage Hills Resort in York.
He shot a 9-over-par 80 and sat in 27th place after the first round Monday. He followed that with a 13-over 84 yesterday.
"I'm really disappointed, it's my worst two rounds of the season," Barto said. "It started with birdies both days, and it was like a jinx. I couldn't put it together."
West Allegheny's Garrett Browning won his second state title, shooting a 4-over 146 to edge Peter Township's Tommy Nettles and Indiana's Colton Wiggins by a stroke.
-- Freeport 8, Bishop McCort 0 -- Justin Drzemiecki, Eric Waddell and Greg Newman each scored twice to help Freeport (1-0) open the PIHL season with a Class A win.
Newman also had two assists. Cole Hepler assisted on three goals, and Hunter Kepple had two assists.
Cody Lee made 13 saves in net.
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- K9 patrols return in Lower Burrell
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Goalie Anderson stands tall in Senators’ victory over Penguins
- Mt. Washington's Grandview Avenue isn't looking so great these days
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Lawrenceville native strives to fly from world’s wonders
- Report: 23 Hezbollah members killed in Syria
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.