W&J senior Gigler picks up national honor
College Football Videos
Washington & Jefferson College senior defensive end Frank Gigler, a Burrell graduate, was named to the D3football.com National Team of the Week.
Gigler recorded six tackles, including four for loss and two sacks, as W&J (3-2, 2-1) edged Westminster, 20-16, on Saturday in a Division III Presidents' Athletic Conference game.
This season, the 6-foot-2, 250-pound Gigler has 22 tackles, including six behind the line of scrimmage, as well as 2 1⁄2 sacks and a fumble recovery.
In 25 career games, Gigler has 78 tackles (23 for loss) and 12 sacks.
Last month, Gigler was named the conference's male Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Scholar-Athlete of the Month. He is a pre-physical therapy major and holds a 3.69 grade-point average.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt makes key defensive plays to hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Penguins’ Johnston agrees with Dubinsky suspension
- Penn State’s men’s basketball team’s late rally foils Bucknell
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Pot doctors in medical marijuana states push boundaries with marketing
- Slippery Rock halts late rally, advances to D-II quarterfinals
- NHL notebook: Canadiens’ Price reportedly will be sidelined 1 month with knee injury
- Clairton captures 12th WPIAL football championship
- Downtown holiday parade festive, but turnout low
- Steelers remain cautious of Seattle QB Wilson on ground, through air