Student boxing club forms at PS Greater Allegheny
By Eric Slagle
Published: Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2011
A newly formed student boxing club at Penn State Greater Allegheny soon will hold its first feature event.
Wunderly Gymnasium will set the stage for "An Afternoon at the Fights" on Saturday at 2 p.m. Admission is $5 for Penn State students and $10 for everyone else. The club hopes to present at least eight bouts at the competition.
Sophomore Wade Lipscomb, 19, of Stanton Heights, is organizer of the event and founder of the Penn State Greater Allegheny Boxing Club. He said the club currently has about 15 members, three of whom are females. The club meets three days a week to train, and most of the members are new to boxing.
"I found a lot of people (on campus) wanted to box, so I decided to start a club," said Lipscomb, who began boxing when he was 11 years old. Lipscomb, who is majoring in petroleum engineering and interning with a shale drilling company, said of boxing, "It's a confidence builder."
Lipscomb, who is also a member of the Mt. Washington-based Pittsburgh Boxing Club, said that organization has been very supportive of his efforts to develop the college club. Robert Brown of the Pittsburgh Boxing Club helps out with instruction at the campus and the group donated equipment and a boxing ring to the campus club.
Lipscomb said the club hopes to stage a similar event in the spring.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Matt Calvert’s goal in double OT evens series for Blue Jackets
- Second-period short-handed goal gives Blue Jackets momentum
- Blue Jackets score a franchise first with playoff victory
- One dead, one wounded in shooting at Chartiers party
- Penguins’ Gibbons scores twice but leaves with apparent injury
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- Unbeaten Arizona outlasts Power, 73-69
- Trib prospect: Aliquippa’s Patrick Anderson
- Real estate notes: Work on expansion to Pediatric Specialty Hospital to begin
- Pope Francis inspires incredible optimism