Ford City walks off with win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Dylan Wolsonovich delivered when Ford City needed him most Thursday at Knoch.
Wolsonovich, who signed with Pitt in the fall, hit a three-run, walkoff triple in the seventh inning to secure a 3-2 win.
Knoch (0-4) scored a run in the first and second innings but finished with just two hits. Ford City (1-0) had eight hits, including three by Tyler Nuzzo. Justin Retzer earned the win.
• Mt. Alvernia 6, Elderton 5 — The Bobcats (1-1, 0-1) fell just short of a comeback win in their Section 4-A opener. Down, 6-2, in the sixth inning, they scored two runs and added another in the seventh. They had the bases loaded when Mt. Alvernia (4-0, 1-0) got the final out.
"We finally started to get some confidence, but it was a little too late," coach Corey Vasbinder said.
Laina Walker struck out 14 for Elderton. Amber Hobbins had a home run and a double and finished with two RBI.
Jen Lentz earned the win for Mt. Alvernia with an 11-strikeout performance. Elderton committed four errors.
• Burrell 7, Freeport 4 — The Yellowjackets (1-2, 0-1) cut their deficit with three runs in the final two innings but still fell to Burrell (2-0, 1-0) in Section 3-AA. Casey Moses tossed a five-hitter with 11 strikeouts and two walks for Burrell, which finished with nine hits and overcame seven errors.
• Ford City 3, Summit Academy 2 — The Sabers (1-0, 1-0) left their new coach, Gregg Hedglin, worn out and with a raspy voice as they opened their season and Section 2-AA schedule with a come-from-behind victory at home.
They trailed, 2-0, before winning the final three sets, 25-22, 25-16 and 15-9. Hedglin said the third set changed the attitude among the Sabers, many of whom were in the midst of the first match.
"That third set was the turning point," he said. "It was like, 'Hey, we did it. Now, let's do it again.' "
Andrew Huska led Ford City with nine kills, and setter Adam Weaver finished with 14 assists and 10 service points.
Track and field
• Freeport's Derek Durand set the school record in the long jump with a leap of 22 feet during the Yellowjackets' 80-70 win over Deer Lakes. Durand also won the high jump and the 110- and 300-meter hurdles.
• Ford City's Kent Commodore swept the jumping events during the Sabers' 93-56 win over Burrell. He cleared 5-4 in the high jump and sailed 37-8 in the triple jump. Commodore qualified for the WPIAL meet in both events last season.
Show commenting policy