Notices from the outdoors
By Bob Frye
Published: Sunday, August 15, 2010
• Shooting at Connellsville, Ruffs Dale fired a perfect 200 to win this past week's Twi-Night Trap League shoot.
Youngwood and Connellsville tied for second with 198s, while Hecla took fourth with a 193 and East Huntingdon finished with a 190.
For the season, Youngwood has 90 1/2 points, RuffsDale 82, Connellsville 78 1/2, Hecla 35 and East Huntingdon 29.
The top shooters for the night were:
• Ruffs Dale: Ron Breckenridge, Kevin Kunkle, Myron Reach, Ted Salka, Joe Kalko, Mark Hixon, Sam Scardina, Rich Ambercrombie, 25.
• Connellsville: Jim Piovarchy Jr., Bob Baer, Jon Schroyer, Nathan Lilley, Barry Firestone, Brent LaPorte, 25; Jim Piovarchy Sr., Roy Davis, 24.
• Youngwood: Randy Rain, Mark Kislin, Bill Ruffner, Tom Polansky, Don Houck, Roger Davis, 25; Ron Korber, Joe Miller, 24.
• Hecla: Joellen Trayter, Jim Lambert, David Newill, 25; Sott Hagerman, Jay Miller, Bill Newill, 24; Cody Anderson, David Miller, 23.
• East Huntingdon: Joe Leighty, Sam Redinger, Joe Yurechko, Dane Depta, 25; Mike Adams, 24; John Trayter, 23; Bill Fike, 22; Eric Rhodes, 21.
Hunter safety courses
• Midland Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 20 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 21. Class limit 75. Pre-registration required online at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Level Green Fire Hall, Westmoreland County, 6 to 10 p.m. Aug. 20 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 21. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-regitration required onlineat www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Fairbank Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 20 and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 21. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-registration required online at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Greene County Fairgrounds, Greene County, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 20 and 8:30 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. Aug. 21. Lunch provided; class limit 65. Pre-registration required online at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Butler Township Recreation Building, Butler County, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 23, 25 and 25. Pre-registration required on-line at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Marion Center Park Hall, Indiana County, 5 to 9 p.m. Aug. 27 and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 28. Lunch provided for $3; class limit 40. Pre-registration required online at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 6 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 27 and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 28. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-registration required online at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Logan's Ferry Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 28 and 29. Class limit 25. Pre-registration required online at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Apollo-Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 28 and 29. Class limit 150; lunch available for purchase. Pre-registration required online at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Rostraver Sportsmen will hold its annual club picnic starting at 1 p.m. today. The club will provide corn, hamburgers and hot dogs, pop and beer. Members can bring a side dish or dessert. Pre-registration is required by calling the club at 724-872-4399 or Diane at 724-872-5783.
Shoots on tap
• The Sportsmen's Association of Greensburg will hold a high-power rifle shoot today, with registration starting at 8 a.m. and shooting to begin at 9. All NRA rules will apply. The club also hosts trap, skeet and sporting clays tower shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays. The trap range has a ramp to accommodate special-needs shooters. The club also hosts skeet shoots from 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays. Call 724-423-6350.
• The Covered Bridge Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society will hold its fourth annual sporting clays shoot Aug. 28 at the Hunting Hills Sporting Clays Course at 181 Hunting Hills Road in Dilline. Registration will be from 8 to 10 a.m., with warm-ups available. The shoot will start at 10. Registration for the 100-bird event is $75 and includes a steak dinner, door prizes and awards. Packages are also available. For tickets or information, contact Brian Hanna at 412-296-1178 or www.gundogalliance.com/RGS.
• Trafford Sportsman's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot today, with registration from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Rochester Sportsman's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot Aug. 22, with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults, free to those 11 and younger. The club is located on Route 989 behind Big Knob Fire Hall. Call 724-775-4244.
• The Mountain Laurel Chamber of Commerce will hold its first annual sporting clays shoot Oct. 14 at Seven Springs Mountain Resort. Registration will be from 8 to 9 a.m., with shooting starting at 9. There will be a buffet lunch and awards and prizes. Cost is $150, which includes ammunition, and lunch. Kris Enberg at 724-593-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org or John Tierney at 412-491-0648 or email@example.com.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Club will hold a revolver/semiautomatic smallbore and centerfire action pistol shoot at 5 p.m. Aug. 19. Late shooters will be accepted. Call 724-863-1967.
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, located off Route 217 in Latrobe, will hold its 3-D archery appreciation shoot Sept. 12, with registration from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the clubhouse. Prizes will be awarded and their will be a Kingston Loyalty Shooter door prize. Refreshments will be available. Call 724-539-9303.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot Sept. 5, with registration from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. This will also be the club's memorial hog roast. Cost to eat and shoot is $14 for adults and $10 fort hose younger than 16. Non-shooters can eat for $5 and one cub eats free with each paying adult. There will be McKenzie and Reinhart targets and awards in all classes. Refreshments will be available. Call 724-639-0360.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club's trap range is open Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 1 p.m. for league and practice shooting. The club itself opens at 6:30 p.m. on Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.webs.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association's shotgun and .22 rifle ranges are open to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association will hold a .22 rifle shoot at 1 p.m. Sept. 5. The club also holds trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Big and small bore pistol pin shoots are held Wednesdays at 6 p.m. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Thursday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds 5-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and from 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club will hold a 30-target 3-D archery shoot Aug. 22, with registration from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for youths ages 12 to 16 and free to those 11 and younger. The club also holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot Sept. 5, with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $9 for adults, $5 for juniors 12 to 16 and free to children 11 and younger. There will be free hot dogs for shooters. The kitchen will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 724-887-5404. The club also holds trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. The club's indoor archery league is holding practices at 7 p.m. Mondays. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club will hold a sporting clays and 5-stand shoot Aug. 22, with registration from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $25. The club also holds CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and 5-stand shoots are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club's trap range is open to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.