Soccer tourney to honor former Mt. Pleasant player
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Mt. Pleasant Recreational Soccer League will host the Seth Menart Memorial Fall Kick-Off Youth Soccer Tournament on Saturday on the Mark Bittel Field at Willows Park.
The tournament is dedicated to the memory of Seth Menart, a former member of the Mount Pleasant Recreational Soccer League who died in a car accident earlier this year.
Coaches Rob Stanek and Todd Ulery said the league has been discussing organizing a tournament to honor Menart, who died May 17.
Menart began playing in the MPRSL as a 4-year-old. He was a four-year letterman, three-time all-section selection, and an all-WPIAL selection his senior year (2007) at Mt. Pleasant.
"He epitomized soccer," Ulery said. "He's been a big part of Mt. Pleasant soccer, and we want to remember him."
Menart was recruited by California (Pa.), where he was a starter on the 2008 team that won the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Championship.
"We are very honored they thought of Seth to have this tournament in his memory. We hope it will go on for years to come. Seth was a very loving person," said Seth's mother, Donna.
The event is open to Under-8, Under-10 and Under-14 age divisions. Games will be 5-on-5. Teams can be comprised of no more than 11 players. Three games are guaranteed with awards given to first- and second-place finishers in all age groups. Medical release forms are required prior to the first game.
"Living for Today" bracelets will be sold to benefit The Seth Andrew Menart Memorial Soccer Scholarship Fund for $3 at the concession stand. The bracelet is available in black and red, or red and white. The colors represent those at Mt. Pleasant and California (Pa.). They will also be sold at the Mt. Pleasant Glass and Ethnic Festival at the Sand Hill Berries booth. They will be available at all Mt. Pleasant home boys soccer games.
Contributions to the fund may be sent to Mt. Pleasant Area Administration office, 271 State Street, Mt. Pleasant, PA 15666. Checks should be made to Mt. Pleasant Area SD Scholarship Fund c/o Seth Andrew Menart, Attn: Allison Willis, business manager. For more information, call 724-547-4100, Ext. 6200 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals interested in helping with the tournament as a referee or concession stand worker should contact Stanek at 724-972-5696 or Ulery at 724-331-1006.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh City Council President officially cited for dumping trash on steps of South Side business
- Woman dead in three-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Rape charges dropped against NY man, statute of limitations expired
- Richland man sues over injuries suffered as bystander to police chase
- Duquesne Light workers find decomposing body
- Monday - Oct. 20, 2014
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Man accused of sexual contact with teen in Indiana County
- County investigators determine fatal McKeesport fire started in living room
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker