Outdoor activities: Hikes, birding, boating
• Allegheny Group of the Sierra Club will lead an moderate eight-mile hike through Laurel Hill State Park on May 10. Hikers will walk through the virgin hemlock grove along Laurel Hill Creek and visit Jones Mill Run Dam. Call John Dern at 412-856-4642.
• Allegheny Group of the Sierra Club will lead an easy five- to six-mile hike with llamas in the Laurel Mountain area May 16. Limit is 10 people. Call Diane Neely at 724-459-3012.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a five- to six-mile hike along Meadow Run in Ohiopyle State Park from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 6. Hikers will walk on forest trails, take a dip in the waterslides (weather permitting) and view waterfalls. Cost is $6 for members, $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Allegheny Group of the Sierra Club will lead a trip to visit Bear Cave on Chestnut Ridge on May 16. Visitors will spend about three hours in the cave. Call Norm Snyder at 412-351-4068.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a trip to the Pennsylvania Wildlife Center from 10 a.m. to noon May 19. Participants will tour the center, where orphaned wildlife are rehabilitated and released back into their environment, then take a walk on a nature trail. Cost is $9 for adults, $7 for children, and pre-registration is required. Call 412-255-0564, extension 21.
• Butler Outdoor Club will host its annual Outdoor Extravaganza May 23-25 near Moraine State Park. There will be hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, horseback riding, sailing, caving, rock climbing, a pontoon boat tour of Lake Arthur, workshops and a historic tour of Old Stone House. There will also be children's activities, a gear exchange and flea market. There will be meals, entertainment and more. Contact Joyce Appel at 724-526-5407 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will lead an outing to look for spring woodcock near Harmar at 7:45 p.m. May 13. Be prepared for a muddy walk and bring a flashlight. Call Tom Byrnes at 412-828-4539.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a trip to Third Bridge wetlands near Latrobe to look for warblers and wetland plants May 17. Be prepared for muddy walking. Call Tim Vechter at 724-537-2532.
• Venture Outdoors will host a full moon paddle from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday on the Allegheny River. Cost is $34 for members, $45 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Jennings Environmental Education center has GPS units available to try, within the park, for free. The units may be picked up at the park office on a first-come, first-serve basis by anyone with a valid driver's license. They can be used from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 724-794-6011.