TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hunter safety courses
• Boyers Epiphany Hall, Butler County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Call 814-432-3187.
• Charleroi Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to noon July 16. Lunch provided; class limit 45. Pre-register by calling Pat Vinansky or Sam Rice at 724-483-7441
• Crowfoot Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and July 16. Class limit 50. Pre-register by calling Rick O'Mahony or Dale Emerick at 724-327-7953 or 724-863-4651.
• Donegal American Legion, Westmoreland County, 5 to 10:30 p.m. July 17 and 18. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling the Legion or Terry Douglas at 724-593-8894 or 724-423-4662.
• Trent, Bakersville, Lavansville Rod and Gun Club, Somerset County, 6 to 9 p.m. July 19 and 20 and 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. July 22. Lunch provided; class limit 60. Pre-register by calling Tony Latuch at 814-443-2559.
• Dilltown Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 6 to 9 p.m. July 20, 6 to 10 p.m. July 21, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 22. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling Ralph Muir at 724-459-5468.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 7 to 9 p.m. July 21 and 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. July 22. Lunch provided; class limit 80. Pre-register by calling the club at 412-233-4411.
• Moss Creek Rod and Gun, Indiana County, 5 to 9 p.m. July 21 and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 22. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling Michael Yanity or Paul Shultz at 724-254-9264 or 814-743-5124.
• Rochester Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. July 21 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 22. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling George Sullivan at 724-775-3563.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 22 and 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 23. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling Larry Gamble or Frank Gray at 724-727-2570 or 724-727-3628.
• Shaner Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 22 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 23. Lunch provided; class limit 45. Pre-register by calling Lou Grobmyer at 724-863-0175.
• Gander Mountain, Cambria County, 5:30 to 9 p.m. July 24, 25 and 27. Class limit 25. Pre-register by calling Gander Mountain at 814-266-1777.
• Kingston Vets and Sportsmen, Westmoreland County, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. July 25, 6 to 9:30 p.m. July 27 and 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 29. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling Walt or Joe at 724-539-6689 or 724-539-1033.
• Pine Creek Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 5 to 9 p.m. July 28 and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 29. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling Ron Reedy, Earle Floyd or Stan Rupert at 724-548-7941, 724-868-2723 or 724-868-2216.
• Jenner Community Sportsmen's Association, Somerset County, 6 to 9 p.m. July 28 and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 29. Class limit 55. Pre-register by calling Earl Adams or Wayne Adams at 814-479-7033 or 814-479-2057.
• Keystone Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 6 to 10 p.m. July 28 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 29. Lunch provided; class limit 60. Pre-register by calling Vince Elliott at 724-668-2405.
• Level Green Fire Hall, Westmoreland County, 6 to 9 p.m. July 28 and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 29. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling Leroy Miller or Hank Pascoe at 412-372-5307 or 412-372-6230.
• Bakerton Rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, 6 to 9:30 p.m. July 28 and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 29. Lunch provided; class limit 50. Pre-register by calling an Kinney or Frank Kirsch at 814-948-7198 or 814-948-8874.
• McKeesport Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 29 and 30. Class limit 80. Pre-register by calling James Brandon at 412-829-1966.
Bowhunter education courses
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 19. Class limit 30; course fee $18. Pre-register by calling Frank Falvo at 412-638-0059.
• Applications for the "Allegheny River Bass Classic Tournament," hosted by the Oil Region Alliance, are now available. The two-person bass tournament will be held Oct. 15 on the Allegheny River, launching at Franklin. This is a jet boat tournament. Contact Toni Kresinski at email@example.com for a hard copy of the application sent through regular mail.
• Poor Richard's Bait and Tackle in Erie will host its annual walleye tournament to benefit the SONS of Lake Erie walleye hatchery. The tournament will run from 5 a.m. Saturday through 6 p.m. Aug. 13. It is open to the public at a cost of $10, or $5 if you are already a SONS member. All fish must come from the Pennsylvania portion of Lake Erie. Prizes will depend on the number of entrants. For registration, rules, and more information, call 814-474-5623 or 814-725-8483.
• The Moraine Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation is hosting a women in the outdoors event Saturday at Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club in East Butler. The event will allow women to try first aid, shotgunning, turkey calling, archery, muzzleloading, canoeing, fly fishing, outdoor grill cooking, and more. For information or to register, call Tammy Mowry at 724-284-9201.
Shoots on tap
• The Washington Hospital Foundation is holding its second annual Sporting Clay Shoot beginning at 11 a.m. Aug. 11 at the Shooting Academy at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. The 100-target event will use the Lewis Class scoring system, so shooters of all ages and skill levels are encouraged to participate. Bring your own equipment. The deadline to register is Aug. 7. Cost is $150 per shooter. Call 724-223-3875.
• The Ruffed Grouse Society will hold its first-ever Central Pennsylvania sporting clay shoot, dinner and auction Friday at Hillendale Sporting Clays in Tyrone. The 100-target, 15-station shoot is open to every class shooter with awards for top gun, ladies and top teams in class A, B, and C. Registration is $250 per shooter and includes a five-stand practice round with shells, 100 targets, four boxes of shells, lunch and dinner, shooters gift, a Grouse Society cap and membership, and a ticket on the door prize. Registration start at 10 a.m., with shooting beginning at 1 p.m. Call Sam Marino at 814-946-4349.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club will hold a big game shoot Aug. 20, with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be 18 3-D targets and 14 2-D targets with marked yardage. Cost is $15 per competitor, with a 60 percent payout to the winners. Young adults shoot for $6, youths for $5 and children 11 and younger shoot for free. Refreshments will be available. Call Frank at 724-548-8318, Sean at 724 548 4588, or Bill at 724 543 1504.
• Bobtown Rod and Gun Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot July 16, with registration beginning at 9 a.m. The club's youth archery program will hold a shoot July 17 starting at 6 p.m. There will be three age divisions: youth (ages 13 and 14), cubs (ages 9 to 12), and small fry (ages 8 and younger). Cost to shoot the 15-target course is $5. There will be games and hot dogs for the kids. Call 724-839-7460 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trapshooting from 1 to 4 p.m. every Sunday. The public is welcome and instruction will be available for new shooters. The club also holds skeet shooting year-round from 5 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Club and Shawn's Archery will hold a 30-target 3-D shoot today at the club, with registration from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $8 for adults, $6 for kids ages 12 to 15, and $3 for those 11 and younger. Shooters can register to win a bow giveaway, too. Food and refreshments will be available. Call Shawn at 724-925-1995, John at 724-864-2488 or the club at 724-863-2478. The club will also host a revolver/semiautomatic smallbore and centerfire action pistol shoot at 5 p.m. July 20.
• Dayton District Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot at the club Aug. 27, with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. The kitchen will be open. Call Erik Lewis at 814-257-8442, Ken Greenawalt at 814-257-8856 or Chuck Mowery at email@example.com.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. every Friday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club will hold an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Old Westmoreland Rifles will hold a blackpowder shoot at 1 p.m. July 16. Registration costs $6, and shooters are asked to bring a prize worth $10. There will be a paper target shoot Aug. 6, with registration from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost is $3 for registration and $1.50 per match. Call Darryl Myers at 724-522-1729, Rockie Dean at 724-527-5317, or Phil Cravener at 724-539-7667.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association has a new 5-stand sporting clays course at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Shoots are held every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Derry Rod and Gun Club will hold an ASA states 3-D archery shoot Saturday and July 16, with sign-ups from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call Harry Jellison at 724-694-8761.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and from 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• Saltsburg Sportsmans Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot Aug. 6, with registration from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Youths 15 and younger shoot for free. There will be awards in all classes and refreshments will be available. Call 724-639-0360.
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen of Latrobe will hold a 3-D archery shoot Aug. 13, with registration from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Youth and cub shooters shoot for free. There will be trophies and food and beverages will be available. Call 724-539-9303.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club has a heated, covered, and lighted five stand range. Shooting hours are 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot July 16, with sign-ups from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. There will be 40 targets, including six tree stand shots. Cost is $8 for adults, $5 for those ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger. The club will hold an NRA hi-power shoot July 22. Registration begins at 8 a.m., with shooting starting at 9. There will be an outdoor air pistol silhouette match July 16 starting at 1 p.m. The club also holds 25-yard pistol pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays and 25-yard pistol pin and 50-yard silhouette shoots at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. Trap practice is at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club's will hold a 3-D archery shoot July 30, with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $8 for adults, $5 for juniors ages 12 to 16, and free to kids 11 and younger. The club's indoor archery league has begun, while the indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups. Trap shooting practice is available every Monday starting at 7 p.m. Call 724-887-5404 for Amy or Doug Brown.
• Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club hosts skeet, trap and five-stand shoots from 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays. From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays the range is open for skeet, trap, five-stand and sporting clays. Call 724-796-9111 or visit www.greaterpghgunclb.com.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club will hold sporting clays shoots from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 16. Cost is $20 for 100 targets. There will be a blackpowder shoot at noon July 16. Cost is $3. There will be bowling pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. July 19. Cost is $4 for practice and $7 for the shoot. There is a CMP match scheduled from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of every month. The skeet and five-stand course is open from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0910.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club's trap range is open to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, will hold 3-D archery shoots today and July 23, with registration from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Breakfast and lunch will be available. The club also holds a practical pistol match from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. the first Sunday of each month. The club also hosts hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program shoots the first Sunday of every month at 9 a.m. and trap practice Thursdays at 6 p.m. and Saturdays at 10 a.m. Call 412-824-3790 or www.pmsconline.com.
• The Sportsmen's Association of Greensburg hosts trap, skeet and sporting clays tower shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays. The trap range has a ramp to accommodate special-needs shooters. The club also hosts skeet shoots from 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays. Call 724-423-6350.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club will hold a 30-target 3-D archery shoot July 30, with registration beginning at 8 a.m. Cost is $8 for adults, and $5 for youths ages 15 and younger. The club also holds a 3-D archery league, with shoots every Wednesday night through July 26. Cost is $5 per shoot, with shooting from 5 to 9 p.m. Call Tim Thompson at 412-657-6111 or Mark Mikolaj at 412-480-5086. The club also hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. Visit www.clairtonsc.org.
• Aug. 7 -- First day resident hunters can apply for doe licenses.
• Aug. 21 -- First day that non-residents can apply for doe licenses.
• Aug. 28 -- First day to apply for first-round unsold doe licenses.
• Sept. 11 -- First day to apply for second-round unsold doe licenses.
• Sept. 18 -- Over-the-counter doe license sales begin in wildlife management units 2B, 5C and 5D.
• Nov. 6 -- Over-the-counter sales begin in all wildlife management units statewide.
Show commenting policy