Desormeaux lands Belmont Stakes ride
By The Associated Press
NEW YORK — Kent Desormeaux has landed a ride in the Belmont Stakes after losing his mount in the Preakness Stakes because he failed a Breathalyzer test.
Owner-trainer trainer Doodnauth Shivmangal said Monday that his colt Guyana Star Dweej will run in Saturday's Belmont and that Desormeaux will be aboard.
The Hall of Fame jockey was on the horse for a half-mile workout Monday. Desormeaux has ridden in the Belmont seven times, and won it in 2009 with Summer Bird. He finished second in 1998, when Real Quiet's Triple Crown bid was spoiled, and in 2002 with Medaglia d'Oro.
Guyana Star Dweej had Eddie Castro as his jockey in his last race on April 27. Apprentice Samuel Camacho Jr. rode him in three previous races, including his only win on April 7.
“Kent came by with his agent and they were asking about the horse,” Shivmangal said. “We were debating who would ride him. My kids were thinking I should bring Camacho back to ride. I told them I have nothing against him. He won on the horse, but this is a big race, the toughest of the Triple Crown races to win.
“I met with my wife and kids and we decided to go with Kent. We felt it was the right decision to have an experienced jockey who knows what it takes. We believe in loyalty, but this is a big race and not a small race. You have to have somebody who knows how to do it.”
Guyana Star Dweej had been pointed to the May 19 Preakness, but he hurt his left front leg three days before the race and skipped it.
“Guyana Star is back on the straight path again,” Schivmangal said.
Desormeaux was removed as the rider of Tiger Walk for the Preakness after the 42-year-old rider failed the test at Belmont Park. A new rule requires all jockeys riding at the track to undergo a test for alcohol consumption.
He failed a Breathalyzer test at Woodbine in July 2010 and was removed from his mount that day.
Last September, Desormeaux was arrested and charged with misdemeanor reckless endangerment for hitting a traffic cop outside Saratoga. He was taken off his scheduled mount by racing officials.
I'll Have Another took his usual 1 1/2-mile gallop around Belmont Park on Monday in preparation for his bid to win the Triple Crown.
The colt walked and jogged alongside stable pony Lava Man before galloping through the stretch.
“We were very happy with his training,” trainer Doug O'Neill said.
I'll Have Another's jockey Mario Gutierrez was scheduled to arrive in New York on Monday evening. He is expected to take a tour of the track with former jockey Richard Migliore on Thursday and is set to ride Boxeur des Rues in the Brooklyn Handicap on Friday at the same 1 1/2-mile distance as the Belmont Stakes on Saturday.
Hansen, last year's 2-year-old champion who finished ninth in the Kentucky Derby, won't be coming to New York this weekend.
Trainer Mike Maker said Monday that Hansen has a depleted red blood cell count that will keep him from starting in the $400,000 Woody Stephens on the Belmont undercard Saturday.
“We didn't want to risk, with the ship and the race and everything, to knock him down even further,” Maker said.
Hansen hasn't run since the May 5 Kentucky Derby and remains at his Churchill Downs barn.
“We'll monitor it closely,” Maker said. “It's been my experience that, a lot of times, it's no big issue, and with proper treatment he'll rebound quickly.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.