Ford City golf defeats defending section champs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ford City's boys golf team moved one win closer to its first Division II, Section 1 title since 2003 with a 210-223 victory over Freeport Monday afternoon at Lenape Heights Golf Course.
The Sabers (11-2, 11-1) handed the defending section champions their fourth section loss of the season with the help of Matt Buzzinotti and Gabe Valasek, both of whom shot match-low, two-over-par 37s.
Christopher Ignatz (40), Jesse Valasek (46) and Chuck Cippel (50) rounded out Ford City's scorers.
Freeport's Robbie Miller shot a team-low 42. Josh Luchesa followed with a 45, and then came Luke Mariotti (45), Pat D'Amico (45) and Richard Vandruff (46). Cole Hepler also shot a 46 for the Yellowjackets (10-6, 8-4).
> > West Shamokin 205, Burrell 209 -- Wolves coach Judd McCullough said the two teams were tied with three holes remaining Monday afternoon at Deertrak Golf Club, but his squad performed better down the stretch.
Jason McCaslin finished with a one-over-par 37 for West Shamokin, and Cameron Coccia shot a 40.
Burrell was led by Frank Trozzi, who shot a 40.
With the win, West Shamokin remains one game behind Ford City in the Division II, Section 1 standings. The Wolves and Sabers split their two matches this season.
> > Mars 202, Kittanning 205, Kiski Area 207, Hampton 211 -- Last week's inclement weather and consequent postponements led to Monday's Division I, Section 8 quad match at Kittanning Country Club. Kittanning (14-4, 10-3) failed to split its season series with Mars, but its wins against Kiski Area and Hampton kept the Wildcats in a four-team playoff race that also includes Shady Side Academy and Knoch.
Tim Barto shot a team-low 39 for Kittanning, and both Jordan Klodowski and Troy Schall finished with 40s.
> > Apollo-Ridge 238, Summit Academy 261 -- Adam Lockwood's one-over-par 37 at Apollo Elks Golf Club highlighted Apollo-Ridge's win, which improved the Vikings to 3-11 in Division II, Section 1. Lockwood's teammate, Anthony Neville, shot a 40, and Lukas Burrell finished with a 42.
> > Leechburg 237, Elderton 298 -- Caleb Orendi shot a match-low 43 to lead the Blue Devils to their sixth Division II, Section 1 win of the season. Chad Sunderlin led Elderton with a 48.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- D.C. charges woman over armed protest
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- For Pitt men’s basketball team, trouble in paradise
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Executive stayed busy with business, civic work
- Coal Center’s High Point restaurant for sale as owners ease into retirement