Share This Page

Tomlin demotes Mendenhall to third string, lists Wallace as co-starter

| Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2012, 11:54 a.m.
The Browns' Joe Haden breaks up a pass intended for Steelers receiver Mike Wallace in the fourth quarter Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012, at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
The Browns' Kaluka Maiava causes Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall to fumble in the fourth quarter Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012, at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
The Browns' Joe Haden intercepts a pass intended for Steelers receiver Mike Wallace in the fourth quarter Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012, at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Mike Tomlin still isn't done shuffling the Steelers' running backs.

Jonathan Dwyer, one of four backs who were benched only to be reinserted during a fumble-filled loss in Cleveland, will start Sunday in Baltimore and get the majority of the work, Tomlin said Tuesday.

Tomlin also sent not-subtle messages to running back Rashard Mendenhall and wide receiver Mike Wallace by demoting them on the depth chart. Mendenhall is now the No. 3 back, behind Dwyer and Redman, and Wallace is a co-starter with Emmanuel Sanders.

While Tomlin didn't say whether the constant rotating of backs in Cleveland might have contributed to the inability of any of them to run the ball effectively — none gained more than 19 yards — he apparently wants to stay with a primary back for now.

Dwyer ran for 122 yards against the Bengals and 107 yards against the Redskins, but a quad strain kept him out the following week as Redman ran for 147 yards against the Giants. In the three games since, no back has gained more than the 56 yards Dwyer produced against the Chiefs.

“He's been consistently the most productive guy,” Tomlin said of Dwyer, who has a team-leading 429 yards and a 4.4 average per carry. “I think we've got a large enough body of work to be able to identify that at this point. ... Over the course of the last several weeks, it's obvious that he, one, is healthy and, two, is the most productive of the group.”

Unless there is a further shuffling, Mendenhall — in the final year of his contract — might not regain the starting job he held for three seasons before badly injuring his right knee against Cleveland on Jan. 1.

Mendenhall missed the first three games this season while recovering then, after running for 68 yards and catching a touchdown pass against the Eagles on Oct. 7, he injured an Achilles against Tennessee on Oct. 11. After missing most of the next five games, he has only 45 yards on 21 carries in his last three games.

Mendenhall fumbled twice on four carries as the Steelers lost five fumbles against the Browns and, Tomlin emphasized, “Fumbling is unacceptable.”

Tomlin apparently was just as displeased with Wallace, who managed only a single catch Sunday as quarterback Charlie Batch targeted Sanders and tight end Heath Miller almost exclusively.

“Mike was frustrated and rightfully so,” Tomlin said. “He is not producing in the manner in which he'd like to and which he'd like him to. It's the function of a lot of things. He's just committed to continuing to work and we're committed to that as well.”

Wallace has made only seven catches in three games since Antonio Brown sustained a high-ankle sprain. Brown will practice this week and is expected to play Sunday, which might create more favorable matchups for Wallace

Wallace, also in the final season of his contract, has 47 catches for a 12.2 yards per catch average and six touchdowns. At this stage last season, he had 55 catches for a 17.1 average and six touchdowns.

Earlier this season, Wallace said he couldn't worry about his next contract because it would be too distracting.

Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at arobinson@tribweb.com.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.