Drivers grumbling after wreckfest at Talladega
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — The pack is apparently here to stay, and NASCAR drivers don't like it one bit.
That includes Dale Earnhardt Jr., who earned seven of his 19 career victories slicing and dicing his way through traffic in restrictor-plate races. NASCAR's most popular driver called pack racing “bloodthirsty” and unsafe after Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway, which was marred by a last-lap 25-car accident.
Tony Stewart, who so abhors blocking he has threatened on multiple occasions to wreck any driver who does it to him, threw the biggest block of them all Sunday while trying to hold on to a victory at Talladega. His defensive driving sent his car sailing up and over the field, triggering the accident that collected 10 of the 12 Chase championship contenders.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Rutherford falling apart, too
- Full basketball court to return to White Oak playground
- Liberty asks diocese not to close church
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat
- LaBar: WWE bans finishing move of top star
- Rangers clip Penguins, take 2-1 series lead
- Steelers receiver Brown skipping voluntary offseason workouts
- Avonmore man jailed on charges of stealing three cars Sunday
- Mon-Yough authorities investigate heroin, Fentanyl overdoses
- Interior linemen replace flash with experience for this year’s NFL Draft
- Scoring struggles linger for Penguins 2nd line