Drivers grumbling after wreckfest at Talladega
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — The pack is apparently here to stay, and NASCAR drivers don't like it one bit.
That includes Dale Earnhardt Jr., who earned seven of his 19 career victories slicing and dicing his way through traffic in restrictor-plate races. NASCAR's most popular driver called pack racing “bloodthirsty” and unsafe after Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway, which was marred by a last-lap 25-car accident.
Tony Stewart, who so abhors blocking he has threatened on multiple occasions to wreck any driver who does it to him, threw the biggest block of them all Sunday while trying to hold on to a victory at Talladega. His defensive driving sent his car sailing up and over the field, triggering the accident that collected 10 of the 12 Chase championship contenders.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trial aims to halt Type 1 diabetes
- Gorman: Barnstorming tour bigger than baseball
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Man shot, killed at East Liberty housing complex
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Newest Penguin Kessel’s unique shot is what makes him so special
- Independence Day festivities scheduled
- Proposal aims to bring slots to Pa. airports
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August