Drivers grumbling after wreckfest at Talladega
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — The pack is apparently here to stay, and NASCAR drivers don't like it one bit.
That includes Dale Earnhardt Jr., who earned seven of his 19 career victories slicing and dicing his way through traffic in restrictor-plate races. NASCAR's most popular driver called pack racing “bloodthirsty” and unsafe after Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway, which was marred by a last-lap 25-car accident.
Tony Stewart, who so abhors blocking he has threatened on multiple occasions to wreck any driver who does it to him, threw the biggest block of them all Sunday while trying to hold on to a victory at Talladega. His defensive driving sent his car sailing up and over the field, triggering the accident that collected 10 of the 12 Chase championship contenders.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- 30 Filipino police commandos killed in clash with rebels
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Defensive lineman commits to PSU during campus visit
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- ‘I almost left here’ says Highland Park woman who contracted flesh-eating bacteria
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Former athletes open businesses
- Big future seen for former Fayette grocery warehouse