Drivers grumbling after wreckfest at Talladega
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — The pack is apparently here to stay, and NASCAR drivers don't like it one bit.
That includes Dale Earnhardt Jr., who earned seven of his 19 career victories slicing and dicing his way through traffic in restrictor-plate races. NASCAR's most popular driver called pack racing “bloodthirsty” and unsafe after Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway, which was marred by a last-lap 25-car accident.
Tony Stewart, who so abhors blocking he has threatened on multiple occasions to wreck any driver who does it to him, threw the biggest block of them all Sunday while trying to hold on to a victory at Talladega. His defensive driving sent his car sailing up and over the field, triggering the accident that collected 10 of the 12 Chase championship contenders.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Phone scam from Jamaica reported in Allegheny County
- Developer pursues application for Strip District apartments
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Fire forces North Side residents from apartments
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Drive-thru window sees major change at Monroeville fast-food restaurant
- U.S. proposes tougher rules for moving crude oil, ethanol by rail
- Bacteria found in bread factory not a health hazard, company says
- Federal appeals courts disagree on Obamacare subsidies