Logano streaks to Nationwide victory
Auto Racing Videos
AVONDALE, Ariz. — Joey Logano picked up his ninth Nationwide Series win of the season, and a wreck by Elliott Sadler helped Ricky Stenhouse Jr. move a big step closer toward a second championship.
Logano was dominant Saturday at Phoenix but was under pressure late from Brian Vickers and Stenhouse. But as they closed in on the white flag for what should have been the final lap, Sadler imploded.
The championship contender was running 12th and racing hard — too hard — with Justin Allgaier and Cole Whitt when he triggered a three-car accident.
“I just got loose. It's hard to put this into words,” Sadler said. “It's been a long, great season, and my guys deserve better effort from me than wrecking the car on the last lap.”
Sadler and Stenhouse started the race tied in the Nationwide standings. Now, Stenhouse goes into Homestead up 20 points in the standings.
Stenhouse can clinch the title by finishing 16th or better in the finale.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bell’s last-second TD lifts Steelers over Chargers
- Rossi: Just wait until Ben comes back
- East Allegheny gives judge candidate’s seat on school board to her husband
- Steelers defense displays resiliency in victory over Chargers
- Eagle Scout candidate completes replacement of Versailles park’s retaining wall
- Steelers notebook: Receiver Bryant inactive for game vs. Chargers
- Penguins’ Morehouse says city has amenities needed for world-class hockey events
- Pitt running out of options to slow down Georgia Tech offense
- 1 killed, 2 injured in Fayette County crash
- Pa. Supreme Court ‘disturbed by content’ of emails attributed to justice
- Pittsburgh police investigate fatal Mt. Washington shooting