Logano streaks to Nationwide victory
Auto Racing Videos
AVONDALE, Ariz. — Joey Logano picked up his ninth Nationwide Series win of the season, and a wreck by Elliott Sadler helped Ricky Stenhouse Jr. move a big step closer toward a second championship.
Logano was dominant Saturday at Phoenix but was under pressure late from Brian Vickers and Stenhouse. But as they closed in on the white flag for what should have been the final lap, Sadler imploded.
The championship contender was running 12th and racing hard — too hard — with Justin Allgaier and Cole Whitt when he triggered a three-car accident.
“I just got loose. It's hard to put this into words,” Sadler said. “It's been a long, great season, and my guys deserve better effort from me than wrecking the car on the last lap.”
Sadler and Stenhouse started the race tied in the Nationwide standings. Now, Stenhouse goes into Homestead up 20 points in the standings.
Stenhouse can clinch the title by finishing 16th or better in the finale.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates fall short at trade deadline
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Greensburg man sentenced for heroin sales
- Spaling, Penguins agree to $4.4 million deal
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Zappala disputes public safety director’s statement on police ID policy
- It’s lights out for Bayer sign on Mt. Washington
- EPA talks on pollution limits trigger protests, arrests Downtown
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Shooting investigation leads to large marijuana grow in Monessen
- After 4 attempts, forensics experts finally make it to Ukraine plane crash site