Logano streaks to Nationwide victory
Auto Racing Videos
AVONDALE, Ariz. — Joey Logano picked up his ninth Nationwide Series win of the season, and a wreck by Elliott Sadler helped Ricky Stenhouse Jr. move a big step closer toward a second championship.
Logano was dominant Saturday at Phoenix but was under pressure late from Brian Vickers and Stenhouse. But as they closed in on the white flag for what should have been the final lap, Sadler imploded.
The championship contender was running 12th and racing hard — too hard — with Justin Allgaier and Cole Whitt when he triggered a three-car accident.
“I just got loose. It's hard to put this into words,” Sadler said. “It's been a long, great season, and my guys deserve better effort from me than wrecking the car on the last lap.”
Sadler and Stenhouse started the race tied in the Nationwide standings. Now, Stenhouse goes into Homestead up 20 points in the standings.
Stenhouse can clinch the title by finishing 16th or better in the finale.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson
- Steelers’ Mitchell taking cautious approach about dealing with injuries
- Authorities identify 2 men killed in fiery crash in Pittsburgh
- Storms knock out power to thousands of customers in Western Pa.
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Pitt’s Boyd, Blair suspended for Youngstown State game
- Thirsty pit bull turned on Arnold neighbors
- Spirit ending nonstop flights from Arnold Palmer Regional to Chicago, Las Vegas