Logano streaks to Nationwide victory
Auto Racing Videos
AVONDALE, Ariz. — Joey Logano picked up his ninth Nationwide Series win of the season, and a wreck by Elliott Sadler helped Ricky Stenhouse Jr. move a big step closer toward a second championship.
Logano was dominant Saturday at Phoenix but was under pressure late from Brian Vickers and Stenhouse. But as they closed in on the white flag for what should have been the final lap, Sadler imploded.
The championship contender was running 12th and racing hard — too hard — with Justin Allgaier and Cole Whitt when he triggered a three-car accident.
“I just got loose. It's hard to put this into words,” Sadler said. “It's been a long, great season, and my guys deserve better effort from me than wrecking the car on the last lap.”
Sadler and Stenhouse started the race tied in the Nationwide standings. Now, Stenhouse goes into Homestead up 20 points in the standings.
Stenhouse can clinch the title by finishing 16th or better in the finale.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Attorney: Ferguson grand jury has reached decision
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Allegheny judge Woodruff, ex-Steelers corner, to run for Pa. Supreme Court
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- New Kensington-Arnold employee suspended over alleged inappropriate contact with student
- High winds knock out power, injure man at Cranberry construction site
- Pennsylvania human services agency gets new name
- PennDOT says opening of HOV lanes delayed because of power outage
- Domestic dispute at gas station leads to lockdown at Arsenal Middle School
- 4 injured when vehicles collide, car plows into North Huntingdon auto body shop
- Finding balance between toughness, excessiveness key for Penguins’ Downie