Patrick confirms she is dating Stenhouse
Auto Racing Videos
Danica Patrick's personal life is no longer a secret — she's dating a fellow driver.
Patrick revealed to the Associated Press she and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. are a couple, ending widespread speculation about the nature of their relationship.
“I think I am just finally excited to tell someone about this,” Patrick laughed.
The couple waited until the end of Charlotte Motor Speedway's weeklong annual media tour to go public with their relationship, which started as a friendship as they raced each other the last two seasons in the Nationwide Series. Stenhouse became a mentor of sorts to the 30-year-old Patrick, who left IndyCar after the 2011 season to make the full-time switch to NASCAR.
“We are dating, and I know there's been a bit of a runaround this week at the media days, and poor Ricky got grilled (with questions),” she said. “It was out of respect to NASCAR, to all the manufacturers, the new cars, the teams, the sponsors, just to allow the news of the day to be about racing and not let anything interfere with that. So it's Friday now, so that's why we waited until the end of the week to be up front about each other.”
Stenhouse confirmed the relationship.
“Yes, we are dating,” he said. “I don't normally say too much about my private life, always been focused on the track. I didn't want to confirm at media day so that we could keep the focus on the season, the Gen-6 (car), my sponsors and team. That's what it's all about for me.”
Patrick remains one of the most recognizable drivers in auto racing, even if wins have been hard to come by. There was speculation that her appeal with advertisers had waned, but sponsor Go Daddy said Patrick will again appear in the website domain provider's commercials during the Super Bowl.
Patrick announced in November she and husband Paul Hospenthal were divorcing after seven years, and she said in the Jan. 3 filing that her marriage to the 47-year-old Hospenthal was “irretrievably broken.”
Speculation immediately shifted toward her relationship with the 25-year-old Stenhouse, who has never been married. While her policy always has been not to talk about her personal life, Patrick said she made an exception this time to end the gossip and so the two could be open about their relationship.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Report: Heinz Field in running to host Bills-Jets game
- Last PA Turnpike defendants plead guilty but avoid prison
- Three from Western Pa. sentenced to probation for welfare fraud
- Prosecutor’s former paramour to stand trial on assault charges
- Pittsburgh to offer free parking during holiday season
- CMU scientist receives top tech honor from White House
- Rossi: For Penguins’ Dupuis, family must come first
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- Personality Test: Henry J. Simonds
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Replacing versatile Dupuis could prove difficult for Penguins