Racing notebook: Ohio judge rules King gets his Expo winnings
Auto Racing Videos
The long dispute between Fastrak Racing Series Northeast and Russell King finally has been resolved.
A judge in Ohio has ruled Fastrak must pay King his winner's purse of $2,000, plus interest, that he won in July 2011 at Expo Speedway in Ohio.
The genesis of the dispute goes back to a Fastrak Northeast race on May 30, 2011, at Lernerville Speedway, also won by King.
After that race, series officials sent a sample from one of King's tires to be tested.
Ten days later they announced the tire failed its inspection and was ruled by one testing center to have been chemically enhanced.
King was then suspended and fined. King did not pay the fine because he appealed the disqualification.
While the incident was under appeal, which he lost, King was given permission by Fastrak founder and CEO Stan Lester to race at Expo, with no mention of withholding his winnings from that evening, according to Sis King, Russell King's mother.
Sis King also said this was the first time in 38 years that anyone from King Brothers Racing had been cited for this type of violation.
As part of the feud between the two parties, Fastrak Northeast kept King's winning from the Expo race.
The verdict from the judge concerns only the validity of Fastrak's decision to keep King's winnings from the Expo race. It did not address the way in which Fastrak tested tires or how it decided whose tires to send samples for testing.
PVGP sets 2013 dates
The dates have been set for one of America's top vintage events.
The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix's calendar of events will begin July 7 with a Kick-Off Rallye and will end July 21 with the races in Pittsburgh's Schenley Park.This year marks 31 years for the Grand Prix, which has raised more than $3 million for charity.
Money is donated to the Autism Society of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Valley School. Last year's Grand Prix raised $250,000.
The Ford Mustang is the 2013 PVGP Marque of the Year, meaning there will be hundreds of vintage and racing Mustangs at the event. For more information, visit www.pvgp.org.
Thomas Zuck is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Tanker crash closes lane of Turnpike in Penn Township
- Crews attempting to repair water main break in Brentwood
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- National Weather Service to evaluate work after missed call on storm
- Gorman: Not just a no-brainer for Pine-Richland’s DiNucci
- Western Pa. farm markets keep customers coming when nothing’s growing
- Brownsville pair allegedly embezzle from law firm