Motor sports notebook: Childress crew members arrested after post-race brawl
Auto Racing Videos
Nelson Piquet Jr. was involved in a post-race altercation that led to the arrest of two crew members for Richard Childress Racing, his team said Saturday.
Piquet and RCR driver Brian Scott tangled on the track during Friday night's Nationwide Series race and in the pits after. Crews for both drivers confronted each other when Scott went over to Piquet's car, and Piquet shoved him and then kicked Scott in the groin.
“When I went to talk to him, he just pushed and shoved me and then kicked me below the belt,” Scott said after the race. “It's just a chicken move.”
Henrico County police said there was a fight in the motorhome lot that led to the arrests of two crew members.
Michael Searce was arrested on two charges of misdemeanor assault, and Thomas Costello was arrested on one count of misdemeanor assault. They were released early Saturday.
“Several members of another race team confronted a group that included Nelson Piquet Jr., resulting in the arrest of two individuals from the other race team,” Turner Scott Motorsports said in a statement.
Team owner Richard Childress said his crew members were on their way home when the incident occurred.
NASCAR said it doesn't comment on ongoing police investigations, but officials were gathering information and would address the situation at a later date.
Toyota pulls engines
A parts review by Toyota after Matt Kenseth's penalty led the manufacturer to pull three engines from Michael Waltrip Racing's inventory as a precautionary move.
All three engines recalled were earmarked for Clint Bowyer. One was his engine for Saturday night's race at Richmond; the other two were his primary and backup engines for Talladega.
The review found that there was at least one connecting rod in each of the three Bowyer engines that left TRD uncomfortable.
Rain wipes out NHRA qualifying
In Baytown, Texas, rain forced NHRA officials to cancel the majority of qualifying Saturday for the NHRA SpringNationals at Royal Purple Raceway.
One round of Pro Stock Motorcycle qualifying was completed, and 12 Pro Stock cars made attempts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pennsylvania’s ‘Grand Canyon’ offers something for everyone
- Court attire can have impact, Allegheny, Westmoreland public defenders say
- Pope’s South American homecoming to spotlight poor, environment
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Police again looking for missing 75-year-old man
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015
- Conneaut Lake park turnaround to be arduous task
- Tunisia imposes state of emergency after terrorist attacks