Hamlin starts at Talladega, climbs out at first caution
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — Denny Hamlin's return to the racetrack has ended safely and early.
Hamlin climbed out through the roof panel and let Brian Vickers take over in the No. 11 Toyota when the first caution came out after Trevor Bayne's blown engine Sunday.
The driver switch was swift enough that the team was able to stay on the lead lap.
Hamlin was cleared Thursday after missing four races with a compressed fracture of a vertebra in his lower back.
Before the race, crew chief Darian Grubb told him, “Buddy, good to have you back,” then reiterated his plan.
Grubb told him, “We'll ride this out until we get a caution then come in and do a swap.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pleasant Hills Night Out attracts large crowd
- McKeesport councilman fined, given probation in gambling ring
- Whitaker man to serve 2 life sentences for West Mifflin murders
- Strike remains possible for East Allegheny teachers
- Father, son killed in East Huntingdon crash
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Former walk-ons may lose scholarships under Penn State’s Franklin