Hamlin starts at Talladega, climbs out at first caution
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — Denny Hamlin's return to the racetrack has ended safely and early.
Hamlin climbed out through the roof panel and let Brian Vickers take over in the No. 11 Toyota when the first caution came out after Trevor Bayne's blown engine Sunday.
The driver switch was swift enough that the team was able to stay on the lead lap.
Hamlin was cleared Thursday after missing four races with a compressed fracture of a vertebra in his lower back.
Before the race, crew chief Darian Grubb told him, “Buddy, good to have you back,” then reiterated his plan.
Grubb told him, “We'll ride this out until we get a caution then come in and do a swap.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers should corner the market at NFL Draft
- Consol Energy profits dip with low gas prices
- Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police response
- Most talent in NFL Draft play at Steelers’ positions of need
- Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite previous comments
- Former Tennessee DE Hendrix announces transfer to Pitt
- Man found dead in Lower Burrell
- Arnold, New Kensington drug busts net 2 arrests, heroin, cocaine, cash
- Penguins’ Pouliot learns from rookie season
- Experts high on Pitt tackle Clemmings entering NFL Draft
- Hammel, Cubs shut down Pirates, snapping 5-game winning streak