Hamlin starts at Talladega, climbs out at first caution
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — Denny Hamlin's return to the racetrack has ended safely and early.
Hamlin climbed out through the roof panel and let Brian Vickers take over in the No. 11 Toyota when the first caution came out after Trevor Bayne's blown engine Sunday.
The driver switch was swift enough that the team was able to stay on the lead lap.
Hamlin was cleared Thursday after missing four races with a compressed fracture of a vertebra in his lower back.
Before the race, crew chief Darian Grubb told him, “Buddy, good to have you back,” then reiterated his plan.
Grubb told him, “We'll ride this out until we get a caution then come in and do a swap.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Heyward-Bey looks to make impact on special teams with Steelers
- Elsie Hillman, philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse, dies at 89
- Pirates notebook: Liriano shrugs off rain-ruined start
- West Virginia football pair Gibson, Howard prepared to step up
- Bethel Park SB approves contracts for secretaries, paraprofessionals
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Police charge man with homicide for deaths of former girlfriend, her grandmother in East Hills
- Steelers notebook: Spaeth on baby watch
- Catching on: Jeannette grad Pryor making progress with transition to receiver
- Knoch ace Shinsky commits to Ohio
- No rest for ex-Kittanning wrestler Nolf