Hamlin starts at Talladega, climbs out at first caution
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — Denny Hamlin's return to the racetrack has ended safely and early.
Hamlin climbed out through the roof panel and let Brian Vickers take over in the No. 11 Toyota when the first caution came out after Trevor Bayne's blown engine Sunday.
The driver switch was swift enough that the team was able to stay on the lead lap.
Hamlin was cleared Thursday after missing four races with a compressed fracture of a vertebra in his lower back.
Before the race, crew chief Darian Grubb told him, “Buddy, good to have you back,” then reiterated his plan.
Grubb told him, “We'll ride this out until we get a caution then come in and do a swap.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- ‘Dry’ no more: Wilkinsburg, Bellevue restaurant owners expect to benefit
- Cops: Man shoots 11-year-old with BB gun; boy is critical
- How to cover work history gaps
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Nonprofits in Pa. barely break even, survey finds
- Cochran repair center planned in Harrison
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Police charge Allentown teen for beating, holding ex-girlfriend at gunpoint
- Fried plantains are sweet, creamy