Hamlin starts at Talladega, climbs out at first caution
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — Denny Hamlin's return to the racetrack has ended safely and early.
Hamlin climbed out through the roof panel and let Brian Vickers take over in the No. 11 Toyota when the first caution came out after Trevor Bayne's blown engine Sunday.
The driver switch was swift enough that the team was able to stay on the lead lap.
Hamlin was cleared Thursday after missing four races with a compressed fracture of a vertebra in his lower back.
Before the race, crew chief Darian Grubb told him, “Buddy, good to have you back,” then reiterated his plan.
Grubb told him, “We'll ride this out until we get a caution then come in and do a swap.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Numine man survives crash into icy river
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Legislators receive committee assignments
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- LaBar: Like it or not, Reigns is rising with Royal Rumble win
- Study of vets supports PB pills, genetic variations linked to Gulf War illness
- One of two killed in Marine chopper crash was from Indiana, Pa.
- Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
- ‘Free’ wine kiosk initiative costs state Liquor Control Board $300K
- Bloomfield bookstore owner bucks naysayers
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit