Hamlin starts at Talladega, climbs out at first caution
Auto Racing Videos
TALLADEGA, Ala. — Denny Hamlin's return to the racetrack has ended safely and early.
Hamlin climbed out through the roof panel and let Brian Vickers take over in the No. 11 Toyota when the first caution came out after Trevor Bayne's blown engine Sunday.
The driver switch was swift enough that the team was able to stay on the lead lap.
Hamlin was cleared Thursday after missing four races with a compressed fracture of a vertebra in his lower back.
Before the race, crew chief Darian Grubb told him, “Buddy, good to have you back,” then reiterated his plan.
Grubb told him, “We'll ride this out until we get a caution then come in and do a swap.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- Review: Lauren Groff’s ‘Fates and Furies’ looks at paradoxes of marriage
- Review: In Edwidge Danticat’s lyrical ‘Untwine,’ a teen rebuilds her life
- Waivers granted for Garden Theater block development
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Review: ‘The Killing Lessons’ is compelling thriller from Saul Black
- Safety of credit cards up to banks
- Opposing TEs Miller, Gates took differing paths to greatness
- Review: Vanessa Garcia’s ‘White Light’ examines artist’s conflicts
- State woos Kennametal with $1M in incentives to stay in Pa.
- Car crashes into Subway in Beaver County